YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

ponys -

• you dont have a pony but you want one?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I carry a pony which has 80 - 85% nitrox in ,

So when you see my diving on my own and you come up and grab the spare reg,,,, don't be offended if the punch hurts ,,, it's that i don't want u to nick my gas , i'm just saving you from killing ya self  

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Generally only used for taking on holidays now but my wife has said she is going to start using it in the UK.

I generally just use twins now for everything.

Daz

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I do at the moment, either just an air back up or for those 40+m dives I sling a deco. Have got a set of twins, just haven't started using them as who wants to help you get back into the club rib - no volunteers for that one.

gareth

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

I bought one at the Dive show a couple of weeks ago.  I figured it was about time I got an independent backup.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

I got one and its an integeral part of my weighting and inverted.

Got a 32% Nitrox mix so its good for most Dover diving and matches whats in my main tank most of the time.

If i'm going deeper i'll water (air) it down a bit to be good at the relevant depth, probably on a PPo2 of 1.6 though.

Its a 3l 232 Bar, but that will do me from about 40m if required. Deeper and i'll use other options.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

I started using a pony because I started diving... solo!  Around the Lake Tahoe area in Northern California here in the USA there are many pristine lakes, but you have to hike into them.  Before winter set in my wife and I did our first expedition and hiked into one of these lakes.  She was shore support (sunning herself in the sun) and I was diving solo with a 13 cubic foot pony.  I slung it like a stage and didn't even notice it.

Tony

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have used a pony from about my second UK sea dive. Viz 1m buddy lost in under 10 mins. I have tryed hard to never dive without a redundent / bail out air supply ever since.

I have taken the pony to Egypt and Gozo but now I dont bother and I just dive twin independants when in the blue stuff. (as per Avtar indis in Egypt)

I am amazed people can relax on a dive without a back up air supply. Admitidaly I did when I first started but after a few years I noted more and more incidents and got more and more anal about surviving the dive. I think almost hitting the big 40 is the key. Its an age whre you start to realise that your not imortal, life is finite and infact you may drop dead at any second

ATB

Mark Chase

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Dec. 02 2003,08:43)]infact you may drop dead at any second
wow, cheerful  

i carry a pony on all dives except 6m pootles cos i don't like the idea of not having a redundant air supply in case it all goes tits-up. don't dive much below 35m

now i've got my twins i doubt i'll use it much, but i am thinking of sidemounting it with deco gas when i go to scapa. waste not want not!

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Sold my pony a while back. Stopped using it. I've never seen one used in anger although I have heard of two club members who have breathed them by accident and run out of air thinking they were breathing their main gas, one of which shot to the surface and never dived again. My buddy has my reserve and if I lose my buddy, I ascend, as I was taught. I use good quality regs.

However I now use a twinset for most UK diving (anything except BSAC courses) although I keep thinking about just using my singles rig when on shallower dives (less than 30mtrs). They are so nice and light after carrying a twinset around.

Once you start using a twinset though you tend to just use them all the time. I even use them in the pool to wash them off every now and again.

Just my tuppence worth

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Glad I'm not the only one who gets the occasional pang of nostalgia for the days when it was "cylinder on BC, reg on cylinder, splash"

Twins & a hog rig are simpler in many ways than the 'standard rig, but they're not quite so quick to put together as an utterly minimal rig..

But then I remember the octopus clip, the pony necklace, the pony bag, the adjusting of shoulder straps, the lantern clip, the backup torch clip, the spg clip, the pony spg clip, the knife straps, the fin straps... and I realise that it was only when I was a novice in club kit that I was ever more minimal than I currently am

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My buddy has my reserve and if I lose my buddy, I ascend, as I was taught. I use good quality regs.
lets hope you dont get a free-flow/failure on your single tank at that point then, especially if the dive is almost finished and you need to do a saftey/deco stop.

You're at 30m, you lose your buddy, you start your 1 min search, 30 seconds in you lose your main(only) tank, you need 3 mins to get to the surface, more if you would like to do a safety stop. So how long is a lung full going to last of that 3 1/2 mins. Your regs are high quality, properly serviced, the service technician didnt make a cock-up, you know that for absolute fact, so much so he gave you a written guarantee that if they go belly up your widow/family can sue?

Why are you so damn self-righteous!!!! You're almost as bad as that Septic whose given it the elbow. Jeez, you ought to carry a bloody health warning!

Matt

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Maybe or maybe not this comes as a surprise to you. In the 7 or 8 years of diving from Honduras, Spain & Portugal, Gozo (+ 4 dives in Ulster) I have yet to see somenone using a pony let alone a twinset!!
One thing that I have learnt from joinning YD is the importance of alternative air source. It won't be for christmas but for sping I'll be looking into buying a pony, currently I am not happy not using one.
OK most of my dives are below 20m and rarely is viz worse than 1m but even when going to 30m or deeper I havn't seen anyone with a pony. I think it will be weird one day to show up with one -I don't care what pther people think- Maybe they think it is an overkill but then let them think that if they run out of air

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would never dive (in the UK) without it if on a single tank.

Matt
Neither do I, for that matter I dont dive without a pony at all. I like the knowledge that I can ascend from 30 metres on a pony and still do a safety stop if necessary.

Now a few people I know have said that they'll use one in the UK only - why would being abroad stop you using a pony bottle or any other redundant air supply? Water is water at the end of the day and you can't breathe it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Imported post

i havent got one yet but definately going to very soon (santa willing), what i would like to know, is do they make any difference to your balance etc when diving, and slightly off topic, going to be getting a new bcd, and just wondered what people thought of the buddy ones with the spair air are they worth having or a waste of time ?

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 02 2003,12:04)]Why are you so damn self-righteous!!!!

Matt
Hi

I don't think thats really fair Matt, just because you don't agree with me. There was nothing self righteous in my views at all. I explained my reasons, thats all.

If you are going to start the 'lets have multiple failures till it gets ridiculous and I win' type argument lets try this.

You lose your buddy, carry on the dive (you have a pony) and get tangled and cannot free yourself. You have a pony. Big deal!

We can always imagine things going wrong no matter what the config although in fact they rarely do. As the manufacturers are producing better and more reliable regulators free flows occur less frequently, even on the coldest days.

And lastly, buddy diving. I was taught buddy diving as was every other diver (as it is on every OW course taught by every agency), its something our BSAC club firmly endorses and is conducted on every branch dive, no exception. I was never taught a 1 min search, simply to do a 360 and if you don't see them, ascend. Its not righteous and has little to do with DIR which perhaps you are implying, its just a procedure, the same as retrieving a reg or donating air. You would I am sure do the same when buddying your son.

Wind your neck in, take a chill pill or something, there was no offence meant in my post and you are just looking for a fight, which I don't understand, and won't take part in.

Andy

PS Seems you've edited your post in the interim. My posts should come with a health warning! Are you implying then by reading them people are endangering their lives? interesting views you have Matt. Total bollocks, but interesting all the same.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Noel
quite agree but blue water diving does at least mean you have less chance of loosing a buddy and having nobody else around to scrounge some gas off. Also its about being able to get hold of a pony at a holiday resort. Did take mine to France, some very strange looks from the locals.

Skener,
mine doesnt seem to affect my balance. Spare Air - crap, not enough gas to get you to the surface. Buddy bcd's are OK though.

Matt

1 - 20 of 73 Posts