YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Damn just got a job again..been doing the sabatical thing since last september!!!...Been great, but now i gotta start working again, so thought i`d get a last dive/course in before i get stuck in to work,

I`m doing my RD course this weekend, thought it`d stand me in good stead for this year`s diving (well the theory anyway), just thought i`d share this because it`s scarier to me than the ANDI nitrox2 i did a few weeks ago, now i know there are a lot more qualified people here than me, but the the book has scared me stupid! To be put in that position is a horrible thought, but the feeling of being a lot more prepared for it certainly makes the idea of something happening while i`m at a site, and being qualified to help is kinda comforting.

I`m looking forward to the course and hope it fulfills all my aspectations, i`ve heard that a lot of people have found this to be the best course they have done to date?!

Cheers (rob head in book)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Just make the most of it,  too be honest much of it happens so quickly you will not have time to actually worry during the scenarios.

Just remember 4 things and you will deal with anything they throw at you.

STOP, BREATHE, THINK then ACT.

Also don't trust anyone!

Enjoy and please report back afterwards.

Daz

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>is that phrase in the book?...oh yeah   page 22..49...72..102.. good advice though! Where does the "don`t trust anyone come from"?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Rob,

If it's the PADI RD course you're doing, I often say it's the course where cease thinking about diving and begin to practice it. It gives you a diver/kit/space/prevent issues before they become issues mentality that you won't have had before.

There's plenty to take in and plenty to do, like Daz says, it will go quickly - you will NOT be bored! - so just stay switched on and remember to ask questions about anything on the course you're not sure about or is not delivered to you clearly. Also, if there are any of the exercises you don't feel you'd done particularly well on, ask to do them again, don't just think 'Thank f*ck that one's over with...'; that extra practise and 'mastering' of a skill may just be the one which gets you and your buddy out of the brown stuff.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rob34 @ April 23 2004,01:47)]Where does the "don`t trust anyone come from"?
Bitter experience  

Actually, don't trust the instructors or helpers!  Your fellow students should be ok.

Daz

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Rob, enjoy it - it's probably the best course I've done (so far). I thought exactly the same thing when I first read through the book, but it is a great course and good fun.

Good luck, although I'm sure you won't need it.

Noel

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>It is a very thought provoking course. Ask lots of questions after each scenario, be honest about how you felt, and performed.

You will come out of this course as a better diver, more aware of the risks, more aware of your buddy.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Its a very good course but two pieces of advice; there is no right way to do a rescue - you'll have to think about each one - and watch the bubbles - its quicker and easier to do that than search for someone underwater using search techniques.

Otherwise, relax and enjoy yourself. I had a great time on the course even if it wasn't the most relaxing of weekends!  

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

the RD is a great course... Im now going on to do DM

i did mine in cyprus and it was great. had to shout for pizza but i didnt get any  

an old couple were watching me doing the final senario and they were getting all worried so one of the instructors at the center had to reasure them.. i didnt noitice at the time as i was concentrating on the task at hand. there must have been about 20 people watching by then end but i didnt really notice...

good luck with it, im sure youll do great!! and i hope you get your pizza

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>we always get to shout for Brocolli, pizza would be infinately preferable

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ April 23 2004,10:38)]we always get to shout for Brocolli, pizza would be infinately preferable
We always shout TAXI. It was a good job other people were aware there was a RD course on because when demonstating the instructor yelled so loud we we heard echoes - frightened the life out of me.

A good course and loads of fun - I felt a much better diver for having completed it.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (luke284 @ April 23 2004,10:19)]the RD is a great course... Im now going on to do DM

i did mine in cyprus and it was great. had to shout for pizza but i didnt get any  

an old couple were watching me doing the final senario and they were getting all worried so one of the instructors at the center had to reasure them.. i didnt noitice at the time as i was concentrating on the task at hand. there must have been about 20 people watching by then end but i didnt really notice...

good luck with it, im sure youll do great!! and i hope you get your pizza
Hehehe.

The worst bit is if you're the mannequin

Mark.

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
Imported post

just following on from what bren said , its worth getting your victim to be as realistic as possible when practicing ; ie if they are panicing on the surface they will need to kick and thrash around and if you get too near them  grab at you or your reg , it may be hard work but it will make sure you adopt the right approach and make you confident that if it happened in real life you could deal with it.
good luck
        paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Thankyou one and all!! I can`t wait to get stuck in to the course...and just look at the weather  
 I am such a lucky boy  

I`ll let you know how it all goes...and if you`re at Guildy you`ll probably hear me shouting for my KFC!!!  

Thanks again
Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>I wish I had done mine in warmer waters it was hard work trying to get someones kit off after a dive when I couldn't feel my fingers but we managed it but it dores make you more aware of what could go wrong I'm getting quite anal about assessing dive sites and where I could actually pull people out if I needed to it may seem anal now but I bet I won't think so if I ever need to do it. I'm going onto to the DM next but not yet want to do some diving for fun for a while in fact I'm off to Taba on the red sea for a couple of weeks in June can anyone advise on water temp and what the divings like, with names like Dolphin Reef I have a feeling I'm going to love it even more than Sharm in January

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
Imported post

Rd course = great laugh! I bet your knackered after it though! Really makes you think on your feet too, would love to give you some pointers ...... but that might spoil your fun lol! Enjoy it, and keep that reg in yer hand!

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I just finished mine today, I was at dolphin house and it's very popular I had a audiance from 6 boats but I only really noticed them after it was over.

Very thought provoking and dont worry, the skills practice sort of prepare you and you just follow what youv'e been taught. I enjoyed it.

I decided to do it after reading about Digger at the Stony YD gig If I'd have been presented with a situation that you don't know how to help or assist I would feel very inadequate indeed. I hope that I never need to do a rescue but if someone needs help then at least my little knowledge may save a life or just calm someone down. It certainly wont do me any harm by having done the course and I agree that I will be more aware and therefore maybe just a bit more competent as a diver.

Good luck mate, enjoy it.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just following on from what bren said , its worth getting your victim to be as realistic as possible when practicing ; ie if they are panicing on the surface they will need to kick and thrash around and if you get too near them  grab at you or your reg , it may be hard work but it will make sure you adopt the right approach and make you confident that if it happened in real life you could deal with it.
An istructor friend of mine, 6'2" and built like a brick outhouse, coped with his first, for real, full on panicking diver by punching his lights out
after this chap had tried to climb him at least twice. It wasn't pretty or textbook but it worked

1 - 20 of 27 Posts