YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi

I wear a dry suit in the UK, don't care what time of year it is etc etc, I simply find it easier.

However, I am in the process of joining a BSAC club and will obviously be doing quite a bit of pool work.

This is a rather embarrassing question to have to ask, but what do you sessions in a local indoor swimming pool?

Cheers

Gareth

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I normally wear a pair of swimming shorts and a t-shirt.

Some people wear shorties etc (our pool is quite cold).

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts
Imported post

I usually wear a cheap surfing shortie.  Sometimes shorts and a t-shirt/rash vest.  Sometimes the drysuit if I am doing drills (It can get a little warm  
)

Nick

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

A black bin-liner; a fur-lined jock-strap and a pair of 18-hole Doc Martens!

Seriously, a shorty (2 or 3mm) or a full length exposure suit will be OK.

PS: Thongs are OUT! And remember, No Running, No Bombing, No Pushing and No Heavy Petting!

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I usually wear a shortie. Works great and keeps you warmer.

I've just had a look and Diveinn.com have the Mares Tropic Shorty at £33 and the Tropic Full Wetsuit for £56 (Both 3mm) which would be perfect!

Mark.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I wear a 3mm wetsuit - I got it free and can't be bothered to spend money on anything else. Besides, our pool is often cold.

An important thing to remember is what NOT to wear - if you're taking in students, keep paraphernalia to a minimum, as it can be very distracting.

One of the nice things about a wing & bp arrangement is I have a bare-bones alu backplate & harness that I wear in the pool, and all the gadgets live on the steel plate

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Mar. 16 2004,15:07)]Decathlon are flogging off 2mm shorties for a tenner at the moment if you have a local store. Ideal for the pool.
The decathlon stuff's quite good, too. My nephews have some Tribord shorties and they're really good!

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

3mm shortie and neoprene slippers / bootees coupled with open heel fins is generally what I do for the pool

·
Registered
274 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Noel Johnson @ Mar. 16 2004,15:39)]3mm shortie and neoprene slippers / bootees coupled with open heel fins is generally what I do for the pool
yeah but you can get floaty feet - nightmare when you're demonstrating pin fivots  

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suzanne @ Mar. 16 2004,15:44)]yeah but you can get floaty feet - nightmare when you're demonstrating pin fivots  
In that case, they'd be finger pivots, then?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Mar. 16 2004,16:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Mar. 16 2004,13:44)]A black bin-liner; a fur-lined jock-strap and a pair of 18-hole Doc Martens!
ooohhh mr T not a dry seat in the house........  
S-T-E-A-D-Y that woman!!

Secure that lumpy-jumper, Number 2!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I wear a 3mm shortie & full foot pool fins as they're so much easier.
Just be aware if taking any of your own kit in the pool, the chlorine does tend to fade it & alter the colour - my nice black BCD is now various shades of brown!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Speeeeeeeeeeeesdoes

but then I am a sad git

ATB

GI3

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Bikini with white thin T-shirt for the backpack straps.  Looks good too.  (Think about it!)  No need for a weightbelt, my piercings do that job very well...  

·
Lurking member
88 Posts
Imported post

I tend to use a wetsuit in the pool to add buoyancy as otherwise I'm overweighted with a 12l steel cylinder...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Just a little precaution here...try and wear a wetsuit of some type if taking children into a pool. Misconceptions can occur and by wearing something that covers you all over those bits can help to avoid these at the outset. Sorry to be a party pooper and all that, but it is the sad world we live in

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I felt like, as I'd be teaching with my BSAC head on in the pool, I'd get a shortie with a nic big BSAC logo on the front. Got it reasonably cheap at the Dive Show last year, and its doing the job nicely. Our pool is absolutely freezing, apparently it's for competitions, but it does have an adjustable depth shallow end. Very swanky!

I might be spending 10 days in it at the end of the year yet, but it's drysuits for that. Definitely. Oh, what I do for world records...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts