YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For those like myself on the "wrong" side of 40 and perhaps
worried that they're "not so young" as they used to be, I thought you might appreciate the reassurances I've gained from pool training this years intake at my old uni club.

How's about this for lack of fitness in the "yoof of today"? Young (about 18) female trainee, not overweight by anyone's standards, no declared medical contra-indications for diving and no obvious reason why you'd expect their fitness to be low, can't manage the swim test without stopping for breaks after every two lengths, looks like they're going to pass out almost (seriously!) barely manages to tread water for 2 mins, (I was within arms reach in case she went under, which was looking highly probable), then is incapable of exiting the water (minus ladder) without my knee up her backside! Ironically very confident with scuba kit on though...

Not fitness related but... pool with max depth of 2.1m, trainee (OD qualified doing SS1) with no declared or apparent cold or sniffles, experiences ear problems whislt kneeling on the bottom of the pool, she's a tall girl so her head is no more than one metre deep, we shallow a bit and redescend, ear seems fine. Then doing AAS ascent she gets to top of pool and instantly feels dizzy, training is aborted. Apparently she has constant ear problems in open water hence only managed ten dives last year, I've never seen anyone with probelms in such shallow water, sorely tempted to suggest that diving wasn't for her? I didn't do the latter but I'm sorely tempted to suggest this to her DO.

And then there was the "should we let him in the pool or shouldn't we?" re the young lad with the pacemaker !

Also found out last week that the trainee who had to do AV/rescue training (SS1) in the pool the previous week was so knackered by towing a casualty one length of the pool, dekitting them then getting them into the cloak/mantle carrying position, that she's signed up to the Uni gym  to get fit

That's what happens when kids play 'puta games instead of getting out on their bikes  they're all done in before they're 21 :))))

Old Fogies rock !  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

spent this sunday afternoon getting my two out rock climbing, they default to telly watching or puter games unless you offer them something more interesting to do, so I blame the parents...
jules

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Right! everyone else with lazy kids, it's Jules's fault

BTW, I've been told you've got a novelty dive hood, do you have a link to a shop or supplier ?
Chee-az
steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts