YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Earlier this afternoon as I was taking the dog for a walk we passed an hedgehog in the field, the poor thing was lying on its side and looked like it was trying to get on its feet, I turned it the right way up and carried on with the walk.

Looked out of the window with the binoculars when I got back and the thing was still there and I could see its little legs still trying to get a grip.

So I rang the Hedgehog Hospital in Hull, the nice lady said bring it along and she would look after it, trouble is I have know wheels as Sandra is in work till 8pm. So to cut a short story shorter I rang the RSPCA and they are sending someone to collect it.

The little bugger is in a tub at the side of me as I type this, its laid on a towel, it seems to have some strength as it is shuffling about, Haven't a clue whats wrong with it though?.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi.

The RSPCA lady has just been to collect the hedgehog, so it is in the hands of folk who know what to do unlike me.

Must admit it is the first time I have handled one and seen one close up.

Strange looking buggers, hedgehogs not RSPCA lady's!..:teeth:..

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Hi.

The RSPCA lady has just been to collect the hedgehog, so it is in the hands of folk who know what to do unlike me.

Must admit it is the first time I have handled one and seen one close up.

Strange looking buggers, hedgehogs not RSPCA lady's!..:teeth:..
did she say what she thought might be wrong with the poor wee thing?

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Maybe not long out of hibernation?

The only and only time I have held a hedgehog was when I rescued it from being a football from scrotes, I was surprised how solid and heavy it was but it was smothered in fleas which had me itching for hours afterwards. It wasn't injured so it was fed and then released in the area it was found.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Should have plucked it and invited a rich American to shoot it under the guise of a very rare wild haggis. :D
It fetches more cash than hunting wabbits. :D

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
they are usually full of fleas , ticks are a prob for them too ,,, but , if you hold them on the palm of your hand they will , when healthy , unroll and be quite friendly ,,, beware though , they are omnivores ,, and can give a really savage bite.
also as mentioned , they love cat food , but dont ever give them bread and milk , it gives them stomach probs.. i like hedgehogs

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,756 Posts
Well done for not just walking by and leaving it and doing all you can to assist it. So nice to read.
Yeah, I hate it when nature takes it's course. The scavengers have to eat too. That's why it's called the circle of life.

I see what you are saying but putting everything into a sanctury is not necessarily the answer.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
Yeah, I hate it when nature takes it's course. The scavengers have to eat too. That's why it's called the circle of life.

I see what you are saying but putting everything into a sanctury is not necessarily the answer.
good point , but ill bet i could find one hedgehog that wouldnt agree ,,,, !!

·
Owner of the Frankinspo
947 Posts
Human's are animals too, and looking out for another animal is in some people's nature. i think it is interacting as much as interfering. Besides we kill enough animals elsewhere to more than make up for a couple of hedgehogs.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
I like hedgehogs, we feed them when they come our back garden. Cat food (or dog food) is wolfed down, don't need to leave fresh water out for them as we have a stream running at the back of the garden.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I like hedgehogs, we feed them when they come our back garden. Cat food (or dog food) is wolfed down, don't need to leave fresh water out for them as we have a stream running at the back of the garden.
Me too. This was taken last summer, (there's dry dog food and water in the bowl).

There's been a hedgehog in the garden this week, so it looks as though he might have survived the winter. Hard to tell, they all look the same to me ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts