YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I am, sitting down in front of the TV eating dinner when I suddenly hear a POP and then a medium loud hiss from the garage!

Bugger, in the garage is:
7 x J
2 x 12l
13 x 3l
4 x AL80
3 x 7l
2 x 15l

Basically enough gas to supply the Navy and most of it is O2!

I, carefully mind, open the door and peak in; it seems to be coming from the bench where my Inspo is sitting (damn it - why does it have to be my unit and not Blanaids!). I approach cautiously with the rear of the unit facing me - the hiss is clearly from the front, that's the side I cannot see.

Have a quick look around, all seems 'safe' so I turn the gasses off and find what the problem is.

The glass front from the O2 pressure gauge is missing, looks like it gave out and was spat across the garage.

Time to order a couple of new gauges I think.

Juz

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
I'm sure that that isn't supposed to happen.... is this a known thing on the units, or a bit of a one off ? Its not every day that gauges do that!

Do you always have to leave the gas cylinders turned on ? That strikes me as strange, or were you testing something ?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that that isn't supposed to happen.... is this a known thing on the units, or a bit of a one off ? Its not every day that gauges do that!

Do you always have to leave the gas cylinders turned on ? That strikes me as strange, or were you testing something ?
I've not heard of it before, so think it's more a one off - my unit is quite old now anyway.

As for leaving the gasses on :embarassed:, I must remember to turn them off when I'm not diving.

Juz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
So there I am, sitting down in front of the TV eating dinner when I suddenly hear a POP and then a medium loud hiss from the garage!

Bugger, in the garage is:
7 x J
2 x 12l
13 x 3l
4 x AL80
3 x 7l
2 x 15l

Basically enough gas to supply the Navy and most of it is O2!

I, carefully mind, open the door and peak in; it seems to be coming from the bench where my Inspo is sitting (damn it - why does it have to be my unit and not Blanaids!). I approach cautiously with the rear of the unit facing me - the hiss is clearly from the front, that's the side I cannot see.

Have a quick look around, all seems 'safe' so I turn the gasses off and find what the problem is.

The glass front from the O2 pressure gauge is missing, looks like it gave out and was spat across the garage.

Time to order a couple of new gauges I think.

Juz

Welcome to the club. When my one wnet I was standing beside it and i jumped out of my skin.

They reely are crap gauges. I have two of the litle DIR zone ones now from the Knackers Man.

ATB

Mark

ATB

·
15,343 Posts
When its on your back and on the dive, What is the point of monitoring it?

Because there is no intuitive way of knowing you have a problem. When the alarm goes off or the PP02 drops it may be too late. On a CCR monitoring your dill and 02 isnt that important but you do need to at least be able to check it.

ATB

Mark

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
So your set point is dropping, Do you check a gauge or the valve or try the manual add button, I know what I do! And so after finding no manual add try the valve,valve turned on,If you have got to this stage a gauge wouldn't help much anyway

·
15,343 Posts
So your set point is dropping, Do you check a gauge or the valve or try the manual add button, I know what I do! And so after finding no manual add try the valve,valve turned on,If you have got to this stage a gauge wouldn't help much anyway

I usualy check my gauge bottom of the shot then on the start of the deco ascent and finaly before i start 02 flushes on the 6m stop.

Ascending with a rapidly dropping pp02 and no 02 to inject is a bad thing as is doing an o2 tripple flush when your down to 20bar.

As I said they are not critical but they are very usefull.

ATB

Mark

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
Well I can see your point, But I feel the cons outweigh the pros. Yep Dude you are right that is an O2 gauge on my picture, that is a quite old photo.
I actually have two setups that my electronics slot into, the yellow box with all the original hoses lungs and gauges:embarassed: for teaching, and the setup that I use for my own diving with stainless box,bmcl,bov and button gauges:teeth: that I use for deeper/recreational diving.
So I do actually have gauges on one of the setups, but it is purely to keep the kit looking the same as the students to avoid confusion and to keep the CE status.

·
15,343 Posts
Well I can see your point, But I feel the cons outweigh the pros. Yep Dude you are right that is an O2 gauge on my picture, that is a quite old photo.
I actually have two setups that my electronics slot into, the yellow box with all the original hoses lungs and gauges:embarassed: for teaching, and the setup that I use for my own diving with stainless box,bmcl,bov and button gauges:teeth: that I use for deeper/recreational diving.
So I do actually have gauges on one of the setups, but it is purely to keep the kit looking the same as the students to avoid confusion and to keep the CE status.

Another thing to consider is the BANG scenario.

A couple of years ago I was in the arse of a cave at 90m and then bang i was surrounded by bubbles. It was a jacuzzi with no specific point of origin.

I headed out fast and my buddy abandoned me so he was no use and on route i turned off the 02. I manually cracked the 02 and injected when i got to a set point of 1.0.

At the exit to the cave (still at 68m) I checked my 02 gage and found I hadn't lost any gas. I checked my diluent and found it empty.

So i switched on the 02 plumbed in my off board dill and waited for my buddy to show up before we started a normal ascent. Checking my gage was the only way I knew which tin had lost the gas. Having turned off the 02 the bubbles stopped shortly after by coincidence.

As for reliable buddies? My buddy said I shot off and he could see no point in both of us getting bent? When we looked at the profile my ascent rate out of the cave was 9m per min. Our planned deco required an ascent of 10m per min to the first deco stop. Also he had half the deco gas so had i needed to bail to OC I only had 13/65 and 80% So I would have been in a very bad sutuation.

Buddies when faced with getting hurt to help you, become very unreliable so be equipped to check for your self.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
I would say 90% of my diving is done solo or with no backup from other divers around, So I take my own gasses and am totally self sufficient in these situations.
As far as the bubbles were concerned after closing the O2, Did you still not have the rush of bubbles and then close the dil?

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
Sorry just read the post again and saw the bit about the bubbles stopping after closing the O2, Still on ascent the guage would not have helped you because all it does is tell you how much gas you have (or havn't) got and does not give you any more gas so your actions would still be exactly the same?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gauges, no gauges, it is all down to the complete set of proceedures you use to dive.

There is certainly more possility to analyse problems when you can see guages, but there are also more points of failiure and the rig is less streamlined.

It is down to personal choice at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.