YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

On holiday with friends in north Cornwall and took up Daz's offer a dive with the Bristol Massive. So Bethi and I trecked down to the exclusive beach and for the princely sum of three quid had a brilliant day out. Daz had booked the weather and the sun shone all day. I got two 40 minute dives out of one 12 litre tank! First dive, buddied with Daz and his lovely wife Sam, was shallow, 5 metres avarage, but really pretty through kelp with lots of fish. second dive, buddied with Wacker and Miko, was bit deeper because the tide was in and saw lots more fish and my first ever cuttle fish.
Both Bethi and I really enjoyed the day and a big "thanks Guys" to the Bristol Massive who made us so welcome.

jules

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Where is Portkerris exactly? I've got access to a place in North Cornwall, and it could be a good option at some point later in the month. Will they let me solo dive there?

So, basically, where's it near? I couldn't see it on my maps, a website with it on would be even better.

Thanks in advance.

Digs.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Jules,  It really was a pleasure meeting you and Bethi.   I am pleased that we made you feel most welcome and hope we can meet up again in the future for another dive (I'll bring the brew kit and munchies).

The night dive was pretty good but it was starting to chop up some and the following day blown out completely, we ended up heading across to Sennen cove on the north side just to get a dive in.

Digger :-  Porthkerris is located on the lizard near to St. Keverne,  I don't know what rules if any they have on solo diving but the shore diving does not seem to be policed once on site.

Also on the way back from Sennen Cove we stopped at Mullion cove to check it out,  a definite option for our next trip in October - Very scenic, looks like a proper smugglers cove.

Daz

And while I remember,  my DM number is 626045 if you want it for your logbook.  No idea what Wackers is but I am sure he will pass it onto you if you PM him.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all
twern't a bad trip wer it!
that mullion cove deaf o deserves the wacker once over, and
when it has the plesure of my company me think's the big boys will have to have the full explorational quota of air  

glad we all enjoyed porthkerris
c u spoon
wax (DM number 626217)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Imported post

Hi All,
Just recovered from withdrawal sympthoms after a good diving weekend. We also tried out Sennen Cove, just before landsend. A beautiful dive with sandy bottom and rocks and lots of small stuff to check out. It's a nice and shallow dive.
I got to experience what it means loosing weights from a harness. One of the pouches with 7kg of lead fell out. I tried to hold on to stones but headed to the surface like a shot. Good job it was only from 3m...
I'm modifying my kit before I'll go in the water the coming weekend.
Mika

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Julia, Wacker & Daz

Glad to hear you had a good time at Porthkerris. Better than we had the week before when it was blown out. We used Mullion, launching a couple of RIB`s and had some great diving just south of the cove. The harbour master was Ok but we and some other divers had a few run in`s with the jobsworth rangers or whatever they call themselves.

Was`nt too impressed with the camping facilities at Porthkerris this year. No running hot water (although it was constantly dripping from the taps, but no more), a £1 for a cold shower, nowhere to put your rubbish and no toilet paper. All for £8 a night. Pembroke seems a good bet for next year.

Steve

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the info guys. Sennen Cove is where the RMS Mulheim went down, isn't it? Any of it left?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

We dived out of Mullion last Seotember, it was great.  We had 15 plus metres of viz, a seal who we saw on the surface but didn't venture over for a look and a lovely litle broken wrekc hidden amongst gullies and "almost" caves.  I wouldn't fancy the shore diving too much as all around the harbour looked overly kelpy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The Mulheim is ashore in the first cove around the corner from the slipway at sennen, its all still there but its not much of a dive though as the majority of it is out of the water on the rocks!

If you're looking for a decent camping base in cornwall try the one near maenporth beach in falmouth. Theres two there both on farms, the lower one closer to the beach is the best and only £4-£5 a night, you can drive to anywhere in Cornwall from here in an hour and theres some fantastic local diving

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Or here is where we stayed Trelowarren Hot showers, bar and take-away onsite and only £5 per night  

1 - 13 of 13 Posts