YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Let me start by saying I adore Cornwall/Devon, so this is going to be biased, possibly long too, we'll see how much I can get typed up in a lunch break.

Friday - 6 hrs from door to door, not bad no hold ups down the M4/5, not even around Bristol, left home about 9.15am, big surprise. Dropped off bags at the Three Tuns, not to the most warm hearted welcome but OK I suppose, room looked fine double bed for the boy, single for me. Anyone who knows Adam will know why he gets the double. Poodle down to Portkerris dive centre, following (this time) their excellent directions as the petrol warning light starts to flash, please dont let me run out like I did Thursday on the bike. Managed to spot someone ending a shore diving wearing twin 7's, could it be Daz, it was!!! Much hand shaking and giggling, this is looking like a good weekend already. Made arrangements for scoff later, one of Adam's major priorities. Sorted out the dive arrangements too, we'd grab a boat and the massive would do something else, not that keen on shore dives. RTB at 10, that will do for me, dont like early mornings, neither does Adam.

Scoff that evening was really nice, simple but good and tasty fresh Halibut steak, the massive poured in and we nattered, then went home for an early night. When I check the map I'll put down where we went, small village, one pub and a restaurant.

Sat morning ready to rock, BIG breakfast, bad news we would have to board the rib by the MOD building as it was less choppy, so assemble kit march down to the shore (down a steep rock face, guide ropes in place) and trundle it all out to the rib and throw it on board. Bit of a pain with twins etc.
Serge skippering Ballistic, apt name, apt skipper. Off we go into the bay and get a briefing, Mohegan then drift onto Persia nearby(?) 20 odd mtrs (depth not viz.). Then all Hell breaks loose as Serge guns 200hp and a rib off into the blue (well grey) yonder. Airborne, I kid you not, Adam loved it, me - well I might have prefered a slightly more sedate pace, trouble is Serge only has two speeds, go and stop. By the time we got to the site (about 3 mins I think) we had missed the chance to do teh Mohegan, which I have done before, so we dropped onto the other one, missed it completely. Didnt mind as I'm not exactly a wreck freak, so what does this bloke like then? Well I'll tell you as we dropped and drifted across the sea bed of small pebbles we were joined by a Cuckoo Wrasse of such beauty it almost took my breath away, then a couple of shoals swam by, pouting I think, then a big pollack, then to cap what was already a really nice dive a large dogfish, half camouflaged in the sea bed. Shortly after another dogfish, all be it smaller, but noe the less pretty. Time up, lob the SMB and scramble aboard. A cracker.
BAck to shore for a fill, meet a few more people I knew/now know, DanE and Rob (SgtPepper). Lunch/drink. Ready to dive the Vase rock with Serge, more mayhem at sea and another beautifull backward roll into 18m. Not so many fish but masses of other stuff to look at/admire, beautifull gulleys etc and a great dive. Confirmation that the dry suit isnt, Adam's was of course, a reversal of last year. 1 all as they say.
Sunday - 11 start. Good.
Dive 1, A rocky outcrop near the MOD building, this time skippered by Andy on/in Predator with the Massize. Another stunning dive, I swam over the top of one big mother Monkfish/Angler, Adam spotted it and alerted me, it was ugly, but I suppose its Mum loved it, as did I. So well camouflaged, well to my eyes anyway, no recommendation I suppose. Loads of other fish, the usual suspects. I saw Daz so I grabbed his fins to tell him of the Monkfish he'd just missed, I knew it was Daz cos of the twin 7's he was the only one on the boat with those. Oops not from our boat then.
Dive 2, The Volnay, cracking dive again. Loads of Bib(?) banded fish look like Perch, small barbels. Pollack and shoals of others too, must remember what this stuff is called, I was just so excited at it all sorry. I was like a kid in a sweet factory. Time up, Adam told me as I'd forgotten my computer in the rush to get out diving again after breakfast. No problem we always stay close, too close sometimes. Adam reeled us up the SMB and I was impressed at how well he controlled it all. Earlier that day I tried a different ascent method, ballsed up and missed my safety stop, Adam wisely did his as he could see me from where he was and I dropped back down again to join him. My own fault I tried something a bit different and it didnt work. Wont do that again.
Back on the boat again, diving over, shame, have to go home tomorrow. Bent down to put some air in the suit, slipped, ended up on my knees in front of one of the Ladies, so like a true gentleman I proposed, she roared with laughter, didnt know her husband was behind me did I. Good laugh though. Then just when I thought it couldnt get any better, the sun was belting down, I'd had four brilliant dives with my best buddy (and son), graet scoff etc it did get better. A young lady Rachel couldnt get in the boat, so being the guy I am I helped her, we ended up entwinned in the bottom of the rib.
How good can it get, an old fart and a lovely young lady dressed in wet rubber, I ask you.
Sunday night, some of the Massive came to the Tuns and we had a good time. I think we were a bit noisy until the food came out, then - total silence as 8 divers buried their collective heads in the food.
Rachel and her mate turned up a little later, so I dont think I could have upset her too much. I was only trying to help - honest.
Monday - 6 hrs to get home again, where have all those bruises and aches come from.

Daz and the massive are/were staying on, the weather has turned crap, so they cant blame me as it was brilliant on Sunday, hope they get some more dives in like the 4 I/we had.
Brilliant.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Don't think that was too biased Matt, I was completely blown away by the quality of the diving from Porthkerris.  I want to go back.  Now.

The weather was okay for Monday, we (DSAC) were on the cat and had a cracking couple of dives with loads of viz, loads of starfish,wrasse, groupers and pollack.

Nice to meet you and Daz, plus some of the bristol massive who's names elude me.

dan.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

All the ones I met were called Dave.  

apart from Rachel, I couldnt forget her name, or Sam (Daz's wife), I see a trend here.  

What about the fog that rolled in, just like the Carpenter film of the same name.

Matt

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

28th of May and Team Bunny plus JulesC will be there - Bring it on!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Very weird, that fog.  We saw it approaching when we came up, then it surrounded us by the time we were all back in the boat.

It had cleared by the time we went out for the second dive.

Lucky for us that there were no scythe wielding sailor zombies nearby.

dan

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Bstd! You might get to see the Basking sharks, which was one of the reasons I went, thought I might be too early, you should be good for that though, best of luck.

Matt

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

I`ve just got to ask- Did Daz wear his shades ? Wwere his tanks upside down and did his fins have spring straps on them ?

If the answer is at least 2 out of 3, then it was our leader......

Steve

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Noel Johnson @ May 04 2004,14:30)]28th of May and Team Bunny plus JulesC will be there - Bring it on!
This has wet my appetite nicely....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts