YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All, I am thinking about coming over to England again in late May/early June for a 5 day weekend, I have heard a lot about Porthkerris, anybody been/dived there? anybody interested in meeting me there? can someone find out if my 6 months old Dutch air tanks can be filled in GB? I have heard rumours that they are not accepted? something to do with the service date stamps?
(roughly translated) cheers, good and safe diving...
Eddie.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

PORTHKERRIS!!!  kin ell Eddie.. couldn't you have picked somewhere a bit further away??  Cornwall's too far for me I'm afraid, specially with such great diving just up the road and into Bonnie Scotland...

Sorry matey but I'll have to wait till your next visit

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

I'm open to any good sugestions (diving wise) I have family in Liverpool and Plymouth so give me something to think about Dave...

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Lets get up to Abbs then.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I have to admit to loving St Abbs, although I've only dived there twice, there is so much to do and see, both shore dives and boat diving if we fancied hiring something... I'm also up for something around North Wales too as i've heard theres good diving to be had over there and it'll be closer to Liverpool for you Eddie.

If going North is decided on and anyone needs somewhere to crash to reduce one day travelling then you're welcome to stay at ours, theres a fairly large spare room with a double innit, altho I expect sleeping bags might be more in order as a certain level of piss taking might occur if people were to share a double bed... unless your into that sort of thing of course  :-O

It'd be great for us to all get together somewhere really special sometime... somewhere like Oban, but that'll take a bit of organisation as it wants to be at LEAST a very long weekend... Cos Oban is not only brill, it's ferkin miles away... 6 hours from my house, so it must be getting on for 8 for you boys.

Andy are you still thinking of hitting Abbs with Scott on the 18th was it? if so I'm gonna join ya if that's ok..... I'm like a bitch in heat at the moment, I am so gagging for it..... I'll try and talk my brother into taking a day off work to even up the numbers unless someone else is thinking of joining up

regards
Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

St Abbs sounds good to me... we will have to pick a date that we can all go on...should be a laugh :lol: but if where going up north I will fly over and hire a car again, so I won't be bringing my cylinder with me, anyone got a spare 15 ltr I can borrow? I should be in the UK for the weekend 31st May till 4th June..

(Edited by Eddie at 7:18 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)

(Edited by Eddie at 7:28 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Eddie I can lend you a cylinder.  
Dave I wouldnt mind taking you up on that offer of a bed, thoughtr I might travel up on the 17th?

Who else fancies coming up for the 18th?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

No problermo mate

Erm I spose I better inform the missus that I may have a room full of hairy assed divers and their kit arriving... its a good job she loves me  

I can lend a cylinder too if anyone requires one, it'll only be a 12 litre tho, but Abbs isn't that deep so we'll get some good long dives in...

I'm getting all excited now...Who knows the way to Cathedral rock  

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Porthkerris is an excellent dive... from the shore and around to the left where the old military torpedo observation post is ..  depth going on down to around 12 - 15 metres.. lots of gullies and sporadic rock outcrops .. patched with sandy bottom... and excellent shore dive and break in dive... visibility is excellent on a good day owing to the shingle bottom .. . Ive seen plenty of life there cuttlefish there in the daytime and even a maurading seal. Lots of BnBs there and a dive shop located at the top of the Hill .. there is a dive charter that leaves there .. Porthkerris Divers.. taking out divers on the Rib to local wrecks... I dived the Volnay there and got some excellent brass shell casings and solid brass fuse timers from the tips of the shells... beware it you want to dive it though .. the Cordite in the munitions is still volatile should you bring it to the surface .. best advice is to leave it where it is or remove it under the surface...... I have another dive site suggestion... SKOMER ISLAND marine reserve located in South West Wales.. excellent diving and lots of superb wrecks .. If you are ever down that way there is an old slate quarry .. built into the bottom of the cliffs.. this is now flooded but there are several artifacts worth seeing.. and old slate cutter and a track vehicle.. last time I dived it the old foremans cabin was still there intact.. its know by the name of Blue Lagoon by the locals and is approx 6-8 miles down the coast from Newgale... anyone intrested in Diving Pembrokshire.. give me a shout and I will go at the drop of a hat .. work permitting of course... as its an excellent dive area and I would rate it for a visit in the spring/summer months. Regarding Cylinders.. you should get the shop that tested it to give you a certificate of test... this can be easily made up by the shop .. stamped and signed with a contact number on to check via phone .. should be no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts