YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're off to portland this weekend, hoping this trip will be a good one as the last one to Plumouth was blown out.. :-(

Can anyone advise the Viz outside the harbour, and recommend any wrecks?

5 day forcast, heavy rain on Thu, and more rain on friday. (DOH)

Thanks,
FE

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hmmm. What sort of depths were you after? Think the guys last weekend found the viz varied between East and West Bay (either side of the Bill, basically) so you might want to select your sites accordingly. LOTS of wrecks to choose from, though. Give us a few more details on depth, experience levels etc so we can get all het up advocating our favourites.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Well the vis has been crappy to poor but hopefully improving to ok. It's better when you get under the plankton "snot".

As for wreck it depends on what depth your looking at, as Kanga says. You have everything from under 16m in the harbour to around 60m (I think!) on the Valdes, so a bit of guidance would help.

Personally I waiting to see if my cold goes - in which case I may well be looking at the M2 (off Top Gun) which is a rather nice dive.

Also if you do dive out of Portland look up Kanga's Aquasnacks - I recently tried them out and I can highly recommend them ... mmm delicious! :pizza: :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. What sort of depths were you after? Think the guys last weekend found the viz varied between East and West Bay (either side of the Bill, basically) so you might want to select your sites accordingly. LOTS of wrecks to choose from, though. Give us a few more details on depth, experience levels etc so we can get all het up advocating our favourites.
Yeah Sorry. Two groups going down, one will stay inside the harbour, rest of going outside to max depth of 35m probably. Just heard that getting on the wrecks would mean leaving 06:00am Sunday, so we might just end up on reefs at 30m ish. Depends what everyone wants to do.

1,339 Posts
Yeah Sorry. Two groups going down, one will stay inside the harbour, rest of going outside to max depth of 35m probably. Just heard that getting on the wrecks would mean leaving 06:00am Sunday, so we might just end up on reefs at 30m ish. Depends what everyone wants to do.
you got your tides right?
im diving the landrail friday slack 11am, pom on sat 1130 slack and salsette on sun slack 1245

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you got your tides right?
im diving the landrail friday slack 11am, pom on sat 1130 slack and salsette on sun slack 1245
Not sure TBH, Trip organised by a mate. Maybe the wreck he had in mind was in Normandy. :)

Hope the weather improves, looks like showers leading up to Saturday. Wind 15mph SW

·
Registered
69 Posts
viz

we had 7-8 metres viz on the advati at 43m out from poole last night bit of plankton on surface but great dive ,out on lulworth banks tomorrow so let you know what the viz is like

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent :)

Last 3 dives in the channel have been blown out / aborted due to bad weather and viz.

I'd be happy with 3. the chance of 7-8m is making me grin ear to ear.

Would love to know how latest dive went.

thanks,

FE

·
Team HPDW .... the only way to GO ;o)
653 Posts
viz

i've just got in from the 'saw tooth ledges' area in Lyme bay and we've had 8-9m vis at about 25 metres

1 - 12 of 12 Posts