YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I was out on my day of doing some fishing of the RIB last friday, when i saw a lot of Portuguese Man-o-war  drifting about on the south side of the Island quite a way out at sea. Here comes the supid bit : well being the person iam i wanted to know how long the tentacles on those things are so i tried to pic one up by the top bit ok. ok but it seemed agod idea at the time. I did not spot a second one that was closer to the boat and and that one got all over my hand and arm and it hurt. But thinking the pain will sooner or later stop I got on with the fishing but after 2 hours i got a headache and started to freeze and it was 35C in the sun then it got worse and so i went home I was not able to drive the car the headache kept on untill the next day and i was not feeling to well until the next evenig. I am ok now but have learned a lesson..... Don`t play with them an if you want to know how long they are have a look in the www. It is safer that way.

Regards
Michael

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Michael

Hey mate glad your better. A quote comes to mind, please teke it the right way:-

Stupid is as stupid does.           Forrest Gump

Regards
Paul

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Michael,
  Carry a big bottle of vinegar in your first-aid kit - best thing to reduce sting

ATB,
Terry

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
 I'm sure you won't be doing that again! They can be quite nasty, people can react differently depending how they are stung. Glad it wasn't any worse, I suppose when you got the headaches and the freeze dousing yourself with vinegar wouldn't help.  I wonder what the doctors would have given you if you were to go to a clinic - paracetomol?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Terry
Vinegar is not that good i have read.
have a look at this.Info

Michael (the stupid)  

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thats what the forum's about  

Learn something new every day!
I assumed all jellies would us the same toxins. Vinegar seems to work on the Lion's Mane ones that are the most common round here.
Come the end of summer and you exit the water looking like Lesley Ash! (mind you, you may not have heard of her over in Tenerife)- everywhere's fairly protected apart from lips.
Anyway, glad to see you recovered OK.
BTW- did you catch anything?
ATB,
        Terry

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

For lion's mane stings, most experts recommend flushing the stung area with copious amounts of seawater (not fresh water, which triggers release of more stinging cells) but vinegar (acetic acid) is also sometimes recommended. For treatment of bad stings, a pain-killer, antihistamine tablets or injection (preferably the old-fashioned type, which causes drowsiness and thereby helps the victim sleep through the pain) and local application of (hydro)cortisone cream is recommended. I'm just guessing, but I would think the treatment is the same for Portuguese man'owar.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Michael

I have a mate who goes unconscious after being stung by Lion's-Mane jellfish, so you are quite lucky. He's not the best guy to go diving with during the summer, because there are thousands of big ones off the Northumberland coast, during July and August.

Cheers Ron

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

If there had not been a gorgeous 26 year old lady divemaster on board at the time, perhaps Mike would have thought twice about doing it.... *grin*

As it was, he did not even yell (he did NOT want me to notice it, as it elicited many remarks containg the term "Darwinism" *broadgrin*)...he bore it as a diver should, not a complaint...

moray

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Trust my other half to take the p*** No Terry we didn`T cath anything worth inviting for dinner but I`ll have another go ( fishing that is ) this friday in the north of the Island there are some nice Wahoo`s round that place. And thank you John  

Micael

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

any truth in a golden shower over the affected area.?
had some divers considering it when this guy was badly stung  on his face by a lion's- mane jelly fish
he must have been popular as every one wanted a go.
we had no vinegar on board at the time which was a bit c--p of us but there you go
could be worse a few weeks later i was hauling the shot which was minging in jelly entrails ,didn't wash me hand properly and then went for a piss ,that i can tell you is no joke!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>AFAIUI, the vinegar merely prevents further stinging cells (nematocysts) from firing by "fixing" them (ie preserving), by that token I would expect anything acidic or strongly alcoholic (ie spirits) to be beneficial, you can expect urine to have a pH of around 6, so I don't think it's help with animal stings very much, whereas  lemon juice has a pH of about 1 so is strongly acidic, and not so pervy  

Still, it could have been worse, anyone hear about the shell collector walking along the beach in Australia? Saw a nice intact shell, so put it into the pocket of his shorts to take home, little did he know that a little blue-ringed octopus had taken refuge in the shell, guess where it got him....? very, very Ouch!

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 11 2003,19:48)]by that token I would expect anything acidic or strongly alcoholic (ie spirits) to be beneficial,
Right, you all heard the man - and Steve's a Doctor!!!

I always knew swallie would find a use with diving!  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I think it was in Diver mag, but I'm not sure, that a spoof Q&A had the following:

Q: I got stung by a jellyfish last week, which was very painful. I have since been told that the best thing to do is to pee on it for immediate relief. Is this true?

A: Peeing on it is unquestionably the best thing to do, and will indeed make you feel much better right away. But let's face it, the chances of you tracking it down by now are very slim. Do you think you'd recognise it if you saw it again?

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Dear Dominic....

brilliant, laughing myself to bits here...

moray

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey Dominic ,I just piss on all the ones I see and hope that bugger is amongst them  

Regards
MIchaeL
Ps.
Steve, thanks for the tip with the alcohol I am going to have a few pints right away. That will help peeig on the buggers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts