YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about this apparent sighting of a Portuguese Man of war jellyfish on porthmeor beach ?

Are these called Box Jellyfish in Aus ?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Has anyone heard about this apparent sighting of a Portuguese Man of war jellyfish on porthmeor beach ?
Yes

No .............. probably.

Ooh argh, a Portugee Man'o War eh? Lollygaggers and bilge rats the lot o'em be! Shiver me timbers and splice me main brace!!

If that parrot shits on me again e'be for a trip to Davy Jones' locker, e' be!

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
23,946 Posts
Portuguese Man o' War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Portuguese Man O' War (Physalia physalis), also known as the bluebubble or bluebottle, is commonly thought of as a jellyfish but is actually a ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War - 31k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Box jellyfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaBox jellyfish are water-dwelling invertebrates belonging to the class Cubozoa, named for their cube-shaped medusae. They share many characteristics with ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish - 43k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts

No, different beastie altogether. A box jellyfish, seawasp, stinger etc will often kill you and if it doesn't kill. leave you permanently difigured.

PoM - it's not that bad. If we have a strong northeasterly here in summer, we commonly get hundreds or thousands washed up on NE facing beaches. I've been stung a few times swimming in the surf; it pulls you up a bit, uncomfortable certainly but it's not that bad. They're something of an occupational hazard here, most kids get whacked by them from time to time, so they're no biggie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War

Box Jellyfish? Anything that keeps Far North Queenslanders out of the water (on beaches, not the reef) from October through to March, when it's stinkingly horribly hot has got to be something to treat with extreme respect.

Box jellyfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quoting from another website:

You have virtually no chance of surviving the venomous sting, unless treated immediately. The pain is so excruciating and overwhelming that you would most likely go into shock and drown before reaching the shore. So don't go swimming alone! Be sure to know the first aid procedures.
And

AIMS ProjectNET - Dangerous Marine Animals - Seawasp (Box Jellyfish)

·
23,946 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I spotted one in the Azores whilst going out on a dive. Lethal bastards they are, you certainly don't want to be stung by one. It's a weird creature, it's divided in two and now thught to be seperate creatures. The top part is an air bag that catches the wind for it to move. it looks like a plastic bag floating. (That is why in portuguese it is known as 'Caravelas or Caravels - the sailling ships) The bottom part is a colony of sting cells that can be over 30m long.

In the Azores you get around spring and often float onto the beaches. It's weird for one to be in the UK now. Wouldn't worry about it but as a diver definately don't want to get stung - an almost certain visit to the hospital.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Box jellies

"No, different beastie altogether. A box jellyfish, seawasp, stinger etc will often kill you and if it doesn't kill. leave you permanently difigured."

There are a range of box jelly species which vary in toxicity. I was stung by one some years back on the calf while swimming. A very unpleastant experience but certainly not life threatening or disfiguring. Unquestionably a box jelly - I saw it and identified it down to species level.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
When diving off the GBR in 2004, I asked about Box Jellies and was told not to worry as they tended to be quite near the shore. As we were out in the Coral Sea, we were more likely to come across the Irukanji (sp?) which almost certainly would kill. Nice! :frown:

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooh argh, a Portugee Man'o War eh? Lollygaggers and bilge rats the lot o'em be! Shiver me timbers and splice me main brace!!

If that parrot shits on me again e'be for a trip to Davy Jones' locker, e' be!
Would you care to dress up like Cap'n Jack Sparra and say that again ? :p

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
"No, different beastie altogether. A box jellyfish, seawasp, stinger etc will often kill you and if it doesn't kill. leave you permanently difigured."

There are a range of box jelly species which vary in toxicity. I was stung by one some years back on the calf while swimming. A very unpleastant experience but certainly not life threatening or disfiguring. Unquestionably a box jelly - I saw it and identified it down to species level.
When people talk about "The" Australian Box Jellyfish though, they are normally talking about Chironex fleckeri, a bit like when anyone talks about shark attacks, you don't think of a dogfish and trust me, an encounter with one of them is disfiguring, I've seen the result on the thighs of a woman who was stung as a child and it looks like a full thickness burn type scar. Very unpleasant.

·
23,946 Posts
Would you care to dress up like Cap'n Jack Sparra and say that again ? :p
Well .............. OK ................. ackerchally, I think I do have the 'pirate cross dresser" gene. I'm not too keen on the woody stumps though but the girls appear to be impressed?

May yer copper bottom be ever free o'them pesky barnacles me hearty!

[edit]You can't see but I'm developing hand shaped red marks all over my thighs! I don't think this leg slapping thing is a good is a unless you are wearing leather trousers ........... or thigh length boots.

·
Registered
79 Posts
box jellies

When people talk about "The" Australian Box Jellyfish though, they are normally talking about Chironex fleckeri, a bit like when anyone talks about shark attacks, you don't think of a dogfish and trust me, an encounter with one of them is disfiguring, I've seen the result on the thighs of a woman who was stung as a child and it looks like a full thickness burn type scar. Very unpleasant.
Yes but there was nothing in the original comment that limited it to Australia and people shouldnt be panicked into thinking that a box jelly stings in other areas of the globe are automatically terminal or disfiguring. The shark-dogfish analogy is meaningless as I doubt many swimmers/divers are aware of the visual difference between box-jellies species (more subtle than the difference between a dogfish and a great white), and the initial sting feels so severe that I doubt that they would automatically think that its a less toxic form.

Less scare mongering please

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I got "bluebottled" very badly in Sydney. it stung like crazy and itched for about 6 weeks afterwards. But they are not lethal (unless you allergic to them). I had 2 tentacles wrapped round my left leg and one round my right arm. my mate had one accross her forehead.

It was seen as a "badge of honour" when I showed the swellings off in Queensland.

They are not THAT bad. Just like bad nettle stings.

Big fuss over nothing. Again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.