YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've been considering a second reg for some time now, as I've got TX40's already, I wanted a different first stage so thought I might go for the tekkies favourite. I like the styling of the Cyclon and there's little or no price difference between that and the Jetstream but wanted some objective viewpoints from poseidon users, all comments welcome
Cheers
Steve

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Hi,Steve if you'd put this "over there" you'd have started a war I reckon.Not sure re.them being the techies favourite as a lot of them swear by Apeks (look at GI's posts on their tech site).The Poseidon Cyclons,more specifically the metal bodied ones have,and remain the workhorse of most Navies and (where applicable) commercial divers.There are various reasons,primarily the robustness and a (debatable at times)excellent work/performance record.The Jetstream is reckoned to be a bit more "finicky" ie sensitive etc.and not as durable?However that too has passed the US Navy tests,like many,they demand more than a good ANSTI result.Have a look at the CDG's message board (the See all threads option) there's a couple of threads titled"Regs for cave diving" and "Choice of 1st stages" which are full of info. http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/   Hope this helps,Hobby.P.S.I have a Cyclon(steel),my mate who's an instructor loves his Jetstream though.If it's any use you may be able to get bits for a Cyclon to do your own servicing easier than a Jetstream as the Cyclon bits are carried by some commercial set ups,again see the CDG board.

(Edited by Hobby at 11:14 am on Sep. 18, 2002)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

The Cyclone 5000 Metal is in my opinion the best Coldwater reg that has ever been made. It may tot breathe as easy as an SP S 6oo but it will work under any conditions.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

I don´t know about the look....I think it looks like a showerhead. But it will work under any condition and any temp.

Michael

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

When I was thinking of a 2nd set of regs (to go with the TX100's I had) I thought of the poseidon, before you buy, just check servicing costs. And as was pointed out to me, how much of the second set would be interchangable with your main, if at a push you had to split them, allowing you to make that dive? So I bought a 2nd hand set of TX50's. Unfortunatly I prefer them to the TX100's. :sad:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

My main concern was to have two diferent first stages as I was taught on my Adv. Nitrox that this is where problems are most likely to manifest and if you have two identical 1st stages you are increasing the likelihood of a freeflow (or rather two different ones decrease the possibility of an aborted dive).
Re the metal Cyklon, the aluminium one looks well cool, I like the freedom of orientation too. Yes the servicing costs are higher than for my TX40s and finding a Poseidon servicing centre can be tricky on occasion but its v.v. tempting...
Cheers
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 11:49 am on Sep. 24, 2002)

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

You could'nt really mix and match your 1st stages between your Poseidon's and Apeks (or many others for that)as the Poseidon's have a considerably higher operating pressure than others?Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here.If you look round you'll find that you can get the Cyclon's serviced(properly)as cheap or cheaper than other regs.Mike at Trearddur Bay charges about £30 for a full Possy service.Probe in Oldham also service them but I don't know their prices.Failing that you can do it yourself,it's possible to buy virtually anything for the early steel Cyclons if you know where to look,hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

no Hobby you don´t ha ve the wrong end of the stick. Psidonregs work with a higer pressure than all others, and you cn´t mix them. If one want´s a posidon second stage one has to get a firt as well.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Sorry guys, I wasn't too clear earlier. I've got a manifolded twinset and I'm wanting/planning to have two different "first stage + DV", one on each manifold valve.
Think I will indeed go for the new metal cyklon 5000, "maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but soon...."
Cheers
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts