YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

It's my first post here.

I'm from Florida and I'm looking to buy the Poseidon Xstreem and Octo.

I can't get any real answers from the people here in the states a lot of misinformation. I love the way they look so sexxxxxy not to mention the fact that they can be used upside down and the side exhaust is awesome.
I have also heard that they free flow at a low tank pressure and that they breath wet.

How are they when you use them with a scooter?

Are they hard to breath when diving shallow?

Thank you all so much in advance

Safe diving
Al

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
If you get them down below 20 bar, they become very very sensitive and if used out of water, mine do free flow very slowly and very gently...

Other than that, they are great, but it's well worth getting your friendly service technician to set them up to suit you. I did this and it makes a huge difference. They can also take a little while to bed in.

That said, they will absolutely never free flow above 20 bar. I purged a full 12 litre twinset through one and despite having over 2mm of frost on it, it just wouldn't go.

The best advice that I can give you is to try before you buy - they're a bit of a marmite thing (you either love them or you hate them...)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I have a set of and absolutely love them but I agree with Ian that you will either love or hate them.

Plus sides for me are the side exhaust, they are light, you can use them either way up and unluess you are really very low on gas they will not freeflow.

The downside seems to be that they cost a little more to get serviced than some other make of reg.

Hope that helps.

·
kiss ccr
212 Posts
the xstreams are very good regs , i have used poseidon regs both jetstreams and xstreams in both deep gas diving in cold water and also on scooters in cold water as well and they have performed as they should , the xstream is in my opinion slightly easier to breathe than the jetstream , if you do go for the xstream make sure that you have somewhere that can service them , also i firmly believe that poseidon regs are best kept in water permanently, ie a bucket of fresh water when sat at home . on the subject of free-flows 1 of my xstreams , failed and free-flowed whilst in a cave in mexico with maybe 150 bar in the tank 2000psi in your language . upon inspection by a qualified poseidon technician the ballon inside the second stage had failed , this is a rare event with these regs.
hth
gordy,,,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,i use extreme deeps and love em. Lots of people told me stories about shallow free flows and agressive purgeing but i wont be getting rid of mine any time soon. If your 2nd stage free flows at shallow depth as mine did just get your local posiedon service centre to "tighten" them up a bit...............simples

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thank you both....AS I LOVE THE REGS!!!!! I have never heard of keeping it in the water ie a bucket ....1st and 2nd stage with dir Hoses??? How do you do this??? I dive almost every weekend here in FL all year long...winter is better than the summer at least for me...There are a few LDS here that service them not a big deal...they sell them too but for some reason they all push Atomic ScubaPro or some other stuff...I will never buy anything SP again!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you get them down below 20 bar, they become very very sensitive and if used out of water, mine do free flow very slowly and very gently...

Other than that, they are great, but it's well worth getting your friendly service technician to set them up to suit you. I did this and it makes a huge difference. They can also take a little while to bed in.

That said, they will absolutely never free flow above 20 bar. I purged a full 12 litre twinset through one and despite having over 2mm of frost on it, it just wouldn't go.

The best advice that I can give you is to try before you buy - they're a bit of a marmite thing (you either love them or you hate them...)
They can also take a little while to bed in. How long would you say >>>>How many hours???

Thank you
Al

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
They can also take a little while to bed in. How long would you say >>>>How many hours???

Thank you
Al
No idea! Mine have done about 50 hrs and are certainly more smooth now than when I first got them, but no idea whether they're there yet. Might just be my perception of course...

Reactions: Twilodiver
1 - 8 of 8 Posts