YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all.

Any constructive critisim about Posieden Jetstreams, just going to buy them, I know you you need to demand your air from them etc but are they good and reliable?

cheers,

Dennis

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I had a go breathing on one OUT of the water not so long ago Dennis and it felt awful I felt starved after only a few pulls on it.... didn't feel like an easy breath AT ALL!

Also aren't they of an 'upstream' design or am I getting mixed up

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

tried the jetstreat and thought it was crap, difficult to breathe and big.  used a cyklon which was 15 years old and it had a great breath and a good size.  my twopenorth!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys! something for me to think about then! I just wonder why the the military and tech divers rate them so, any thoughts from anyone?
cheers all

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

i think part of it is they are dead simple and can be taken apart under water easily

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from DennisM on 10:54 pm on July 3, 2002
I just wonder why the the military and tech divers rate them so, any thoughts from anyone?
cheers all
<span =''>
Yeah I've wondered that before too, but it seems that those who like Posiedons Love em and those who dislike Posiedons Loathe em but just like most things in life, its all subjective.

As far as the military using a bit of kit well I personally wouldn't take that as a recommendation, as the people who make the buying decisions for the military aren't necessarily experts in that field or even users of the type of equipment that they are procuring.

Dennis, you said in your first post "I know you you need to demand your air from them"  mate!! if this is true, why on earth would you want regulators that you need to demand air from?  wouldn't it be preferable to have regulators that give an easy breath at all depths? I've once been in a position where I felt that the reg wasn't feeding me enough air and I was deep, it scared me... A LOT!

Also if I'm correct in my earlier post and the reg you speak of is of an 'Upstream' design then I wouldn't want to be breathing a reg that can fail closed rather than fail open anyway, even if it fed me air like a compressor.

Are there any Posiedon users reading this thread that can put me right on its design characteristics as I might be speaking out of turn here

If I was in the position to buy regs again I'd go for TX50's I think... I was gonna buy this reg first and the friggin dive shop talked me out of it and into an Aqua Lung Glacia with Cousteau first stage... not a bad reg but I wish I'd stuck with my first decision.

All the best
Dave

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I have to say that having tried alot of regs, tight arse you see, happy to borrow for AGES when I first learnt, I have never used better than Apeks.  And I only use TX40's.  Good breath, easy to take apart and service, heresy I know! and unlike Poseidons you are not having to fork out a fortune for bits.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

I'd agree with Daves point about not taking the fact that the military use them as being a necessarily good thing. As one of the original moon astronauts once noted - he was sitting on top of several tons of combustable material inside a rocket built by the cheapest bidder.

Like Andy, I now use Apeks and am NOT happy diving with anything else (left the buggers at home by accident one day and had a crap days diving on hired regs at Stoney - nothing wrong witht he actual regs, just my mental attitude at not using my Apeks!)

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from DennisM on 10:54 pm on July 3, 2002
Thanks guys! something for me to think about then! I just wonder why the the military and tech divers rate them so, any thoughts from anyone?
cheers all
<span =''>

coz they used to be the best rated for use below 60 meters US navy tests around 1995, as far as taking to pieces underwater I don’t think so, the jetstream is a pilot valve and is tricky to set up, also they are upstream but have a pressure relief valve which should stop it failing shut, I would just go for Scubapro if you are asking me, great regs used them for years and never had any problems, they do cost a little more but over a couple of years a few quid extra soon equals out.
DM

(Edited by darthmoll at 11:49 pm on July 4, 2002)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks all you guys, far more subjective and helpful than a.n.other website forum!
I talked to a guy yesterday who popped in and was using these regs, he loved the jetstream (tech diver) but thought that his TX100 on his single cylinder rig was probably better!

One mans food , another mans fodder as said, certainly given me something to think about with these regs

cheers everyone

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts