YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Porg has a new job...congratulations...

BUT...I've got a possibility of a job in Vietnam and then onto Aus after 2 years......

This is 4-7 months away..I have not decided yet on Vietnam...it's just there if the deal is OK.

Anyway....has anyone been to Vietnam...and of course what is the diving like..??? The job would be in the south in Ho Chi Minh so my question is really based around that area....anyone help?

Thanks and regards.

Graham

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>never been there,,,,,,,,, but i have an old 8x4 stars and stripes if ya want it

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Just researching a trip out there and it seems that diving only takes place during the dry season which is Jan - March.

Nha Trang seems to be the place where it happens but it don't sound as though you go to Vietnam for the diving; rather if you are there you can go diving.

Simon

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

My sister went there last year on holls and loved it so much they are going back this year as well. She dosent dive so I cant comment on that bit.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Looking back at my first post it looks a bit dry...

I did actually mean CONGRATS TO PORG and if he does manage a boat test drive let me know the score as his boat driving/steering/whatever you do with boats ability goes..

Jan-March....I'm sure that's tourist season...I can't imagine much worse conditions that I've dived in (my imagination is limited) so diving all year round is on the cards...??

Appreciate the help so far, especially the flag offer from Randy Andy,...if any more comments are out there...they're welcome.

Cheers all....

Graham

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

I lived over there for three months.

It was a wonderful place with amazinc culture.  enormous ammounts of scooters and the only way to cross the road is to just walk and let the vehicles dodge you.

get out there while the offer is still there.

DD

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

Oh you swine!!!  It's a fantastic place, I absolutely loved it.  I spent a few weeks travelling around there and it was one of the best trips I've ever done - I'd love to go back some time.   Great culture and people, fascinating country.... GO!!! I'm very jealous!

(Afraid I didn't dive while I was over there, so I can't help you on that front, but even if it's not that great you are in very easy reach of some other good spots...)

Helen

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>A friend of mine went to Vietnam but he skipped diving simply because the viz was bad.
Reason for diving only in the dry season is all the silt being brought out to see by the rivers when it's raining.
Not quite like Thailand in other words.

He loved the country nevertheless.

Kyrre

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Snash @ Feb. 14 2004,15:46)]Nha Trang seems to be the place
Naaaaahhh.... you don't want Nha Trang, you want Poon-tang  

Seriously though, I'd jump at the chance if I were you, never mind the diving, check out the rainforests. Almost unbelievably, even though the Americans bombed the living daylights out of the place, there's been several discoveries of new mammal species in Vietman since 1993 which is amazing when you consider that during the entire 20th century, "fewer than ten new large mammal species have been found worldwide. "
WWF

"Don't ask me I don't give a damn
Next stop isVietnam..."

Go for it dude!  

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Really appreciate the help....all sounds reasonable but my concern is that no-one except DD has lived there and comments are based on holiday experiences.

I do appreciate the comments and they are useful...

Helen...you sound as though you thoroughly enjoyed it.

The situation is fluid....the latest update today is maybe straight to Aus...I'd rather do 18-24 months in Vietnam and then over to Aus.

Not so happy to hear about the silty diving...one of the reasons I want to get out of Luxembourg is to escape near zero viz diving....oh well...as long as I can dive.

Cheers all...and thanks again.

Graham

1 - 10 of 10 Posts