YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
After 20yrs of OC diving, my CCR (Inspiration) course is at the end of the month!

I am a BSAC Advanced Diverand will be the first diver in the club to go CCR. A look on the BSAC website prompted my initial thought is that BSAC publish common sense “suggested” CCR recommendations ((See here) for PDF download) - targeted/aimed at the masses, varying degrees of diving ability – of course diving with OC divers of varying degrees of ability.

Okay - before people start shouting at me :) I know and am aware that moving from OC to rebreathers makes me a Novice Diver again! So my question is: Have all you RB divers followed the BSAC (or somthing similar) Experience & depth progression reccomendations rigidly? If not, why and how?

Personal experience in starting out on RB's much appreciated.

·
Team Peanut Butter
2,306 Posts
When I first started diving CCR I did not bother about counting the hours I progressed my dives both in depth and duration only when I felt comfortable at the previous depth limit. It took a long time before I felt sufficiently proficient to dive it in the sea. It took a lot of dives before I felt that I was able to both look after the unit and another diver, so I only dived with buddies I could trust to look after them selves. If you can find another CCR diver to buddy with this will help you to build your confidence.

Last February I was the only CCR pilot in my branch there are now seven of us, so you may be the catalyst that moves things on.

Where are you based? there may be other re breather divers local to you.

I have looked at your profile I know where you are, PM sent if you want a buddy give me a call.

Graham.

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
I've just had my MOD1 1 year anniversary :)

I went the IANTD route and followed the advice of the instructor (Rich Stevenson) for post course dives; I carried on from where I left off which was 30 metre dives with no mandatory deco (but stops for practice) and gradually introduced mandatory deco into the dives as I got more confident. TBH after the course I couldn't hold a stop without a bit of fining to help me, so I kept the deco down to around 10 minutes until being neutral at 6m became natural. Within a month of MOD1 (about 15 hours of post mod 1 dives) I did the ART course with Rich, this involved 40m/40min trimix dives with around 20minutes TTS (which usually works out more like 30minutes of ascent in practice). I ended the year at around 55m and 40 minute bottom times (60 hours post MOD1), so quite ambitious I suppose but I was comfortable with it. I know others who got to that level after half the number of hours.

All this business about becoming a complete novice again is actually bollocks. OK it is very different but it is only really the buoyancy and PPO2 checking which you need to get your head around and actually it isn't that difficult. All the other stuff you have learnt during your OC years is still relevant; buddy skills, situational awareness, coping with stress/poor vis etc etc all still apply. It took me about 25 hours to get level with where I left off on OC and after that I was ahead of the game and with a clear head.

After a lay off over the winter (I don't do quarries) I seemed to be back to square 1 again - buoyancy and comfort certainly wasn't what it was back in October but I am getting there after 5 dives (starting with 2 in Chesil cove and building up).

Good luck with the course, bear with it if you are uncomfortable for the first few dives.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Well I did mine about a decade ago and once I'd finished the course I just carried on with the diving I had done before.
Changing where you get the stuff you breathe from doesn't throw away all those years of being in the water it just adds some new drills and messes with your buoyancy control instincts.
Similarly I don't bother with a bunch of shallow dives after a lay off if I'm offered something interesting that happens to be at the deeper end of my comfort zone.

I'm not saying 'progression' is wrong or that 'build up' dives are a waste of time but that I don't seem to have missed them either back then or any time since.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
My 2nd dive on the KISS was 60m, I managed to flood it and have a co2 hit so after that I was a bit more conservative. I dont log hours as I think that's a bit irrelevant, 10hrs spent on deco or swimming round a quarry is worth less than 10hrs on actual bottom time so it's a bit of a pointless number. Rich Pyle's old Learner's Guide to Rebreathers article is mandatory reading for any new rebreather diver, I subscribe to his attitude that after 50hrs he was an expert and after 100 he realised he was a novice. Like I said I am very conservative in my attitude towards rebreathers, I've been diving them about 7yrs now and I still dont feel I'm as good on one as I am on a twinset.

When you can do everything that a 6month diver can do with the same level of competency then you are able to do that sort of diving. Keep progression in similar stages, when your (honest) ability on the unit matches that of an equivalent oc diver then you can do that type of diving. Personally I'd plan on writing off 6-12 months of diving to get good. You either do the same diving badly or rein it back and develop the ability. i wish I'd been as much a dive god but I felt I was very much a novice. Yes I continued doing the odd deeper dive but I never felt like I'd done it with any level of skill or safety.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI all,
Thanks very much for your opinions. I will make sure the drills and skills are proacticed and progress at a pace at which I feel comfortable :)

Kind Regards, Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts