YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those currently seeking or those already trained I would like to pick your brains if I may?

Having been trained in recreational diving and currently teaching on a regular basis I understand to become a commercial diver is a whole new ball game.

Not only does it require the right person and for that person to have the right mentality but it also requires ALOT of money for the training. I understand from reading reports, threads on YD and also speaking with ex commercial divers that after a few years in the trade you can earn this money back.

My questions are this, having spent so much money on the training are there actually that many jobs out there at present? or is it a case of completing the training then working in shore to develop your experience?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
My questions are this, having spent so much money on the training are there actually that many jobs out there at present? or is it a case of completing the training then working in shore to develop your experience?
EDIT; Answer removed as I'm tired of the same old questions to us that are in the business and got here without asking questions, just got on and did it.

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Some people cant just drop everything and get on with it, whats wrong with a little reaearch. Forums are for sharing?

·
Sorry for being a dick
1,757 Posts
Can you do anything else apart from dive? Working skills like welding, inspection and cutting are what's important (if I understand correctly). Diving is just the commute to work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can you do anything else apart from dive? Working skills like welding, inspection and cutting are what's important (if I understand correctly). Diving is just the commute to work.
This is exactly what I heard, and you don't get paid for walking to work, just the work you do.. There are always scallops!

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Some people cant just drop everything and get on with it, whats wrong with a little reaearch. Forums are for sharing?
True, but it doesn't take long to look through the commercial diving section for posts by A.Berk and others.

Regards

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Berko, Sandman and others have all posted about how slow/tough it is out there. I have several mates here in Gozo who work on the rigs either as commies or ROV drivers (aka xbox players) ;) A couple of the guys I know are in regular employment, their faces fit and they are established. Others have really struggled recently, one guy I know is off for his 2nd trip this year in a few days time but prior to that he'd had 18 months on the beach.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Its alrite if you can afford the periods of unemployment, or have something to fall back on!

Nothing but a pipe dream for me. And saying that I am very happy in my current job. Working in diving just seems too risky at the moment.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
... have something to fall back on!
Isn't that the point, As a commie diver I'd have thought first and foremost you'd have a trade - welder, joiner, fitter, plumber, sparky.

Commie divers take that trade and apply it in an underwater environment. If you don't have something to fall back on you're probably not going to be that employable as a commie diver in the first place...

Davie

I know there is no point me doing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suppose, but none off em are under water, so couldn't anyone do the job
On a typical off shore air diving job, working 12 hour shifts you might spend a couple of hours tending/rigging an hour as standby, an hour in the water, an hour in the bin and an hour driving the bin, that leaves maybe 6 hours. On a regular crew you are often allocated bits of kit to look after, hats and umbilicals, chamber, outboard and rib, welding/burning gear etc etc, so if you are a diesel fitter, you're a good hand to have around. Any skills that make you useful on a diving job will make you more employable. In the NS there are likely to be techs to do all that but in places like the middle east/Africa you are more likely to more of the maintenance jobs yourself. That was my experience anyway.
When we mobilized a job in Dubai once the kit all turned up on lorries and we had to help install the dive spreads, chamber shacks, tack the generators to the deck, the lot. A diesel mech will be a lot more use than say, a patisserie chef :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts