YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well assuming the ND teabag suit fails its test this Sunday, and leaks yet again down my left arm:angry: :angry: , These are the suits I'm thinking of replacing it with (all MTM):

Hammond CP pro (cordura):
Good: I know Chris and his workmanship is good
Bad: Not the cheapest option, doubts about the cut.

Seaskin Nova (probably in cordura):
Good: Sounds clued up on phone, options all I want, least expensive
Bad: Not many around to judge, some poor reports on build quality

Predator Ti tec 4
Good: Sounds clued up on phone, no-leak guarantee, mid-priced.
Bad: Not used neo before, not sure I'll like it. Will need new undersuit/baselayers.

So, I'd value any comments/experiences/recomendations. Except to by another ND suit. If hell freezes over, and their suits are the only way to keep warm, then I'd rather be a human ice lolly.:) :) :)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Well, the seaskin works out at about £580 with all the bits I want, the Predator at about £725 (but I'd need to buy an alternative to the weezle as well) and the Hammond At about £680.

I'd like to keep it as reasonable as possible, but I do want a reliable and dry suit - I know that I'll have to spend a bit to get that, and I don't want to go down the 'buy Beaver, buy twice' route.

In all honesty, The seaskin was top of the list, but a few slightly (and I mean slightly) veiled comments from others, and a few slighty negative reports on here, have made me review my thoughts a bit. Although I have to admit there are a lot of positive reports as well.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Whilst I can't comment on the suits you've mentioned I can recommend Otter Brittanic MTM and I believe they are in your price range.

Membrane Drysuits

I spent the day with them, totally measured up, went through the choice of pockets, boots etc.. and got the suit I'd always craved for.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Without a doubt Predator, I went over to his unit earlier this week as he's only a few miles down the road and was very impressed.

Dennis's knowledge is excellent and his suits are top notch, everyone I know who has one of his suits can't say a thing wrong about them.

If I was in the market for a new suit I would go to him.

Predator Custom Drysuits

Why buy a Predator Drysuit?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Of those you mention, I'd definately get the Seaskin, but then I have one (ultra)... ;)

As you no doubt know, people tend to recomend what they have...even if there is something better arround for the same price.

So I'd have to say that you've done your research, so go with whatever your gut tells you.

End of the day they are all good suits (if you go by others opinions).

Not a lot of use that....:teeth:

·
High BMI = designed for cold water diving
69 Posts
I have used the Hammond for the last 3 years. Absolutely brilliant. Even took it Ice diving in the Russian Arctic (with Fourth Element Xerotherm Arctic undersuit) and didn't feel the cold!

So great suit, great service from the Hammonds and very friendly people.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Seaskin

I know of three people on here, myself included who are very satisfied with the Seaskin service. Been using mine for over a year - 50 dives, all dry, all functioning well.

Not sure I would go for Cordura-speak to Richard first before committing. Material is thicker but does not last any longer apparently

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
I was at Seaskin first thing this morning, and was measured up for new Nova suit. Richard, as Ian described, was very thorough in going through the options etc. As a new diver I was open to advice, and look forward to my suit in a few weeks. From what I could tell it's a very good operation there, many commercial suits ready to go off to russia, and survival suits etc.

Look out for my present suit in the ads section once the new one arrives :)

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Polar bears where good loved mine only changed it so i could sell a mate a dry suit cheap without him feeling it was charity. Love my otter that i have now but if i was buying new MTM i'd be shopping at protec a few in the club have them really well made and great service at a hard to beat price.

·
Technical instructor and dive guide
112 Posts
My Predator took a loooooooooooong time to get done - Dennis is a sound geezer though - who obviously knows what he's doing - me and Tiddler also visited the premises and were impressed with the set up - the time lag involved would probably put me off buying another - I'd likely follow the sound decision making of the wife and go for an otter - hers is bullet proof (either that, or she can move like the Matrix and keeps dodging 'em)

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
May I throw Protec into the arena, should a membrane be your thing? I got a full MTM polyester-trilam with bellow pocket for around £500. Just used it for the first time and it is superb...

Edit: I have not hear a single bad report about Protec.
S.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
As has been said, people are almost always going to recommend the suit that they have got, and I'm going to be no different in suggesting the Seaskin.

You say you've read some negative comments, but the only ones I can remember were those about fit and from people who had measured themselves and admitted they had probably cocked it up. I went to the factory to be measured for mine and the fit is perfect and the build quality very good.

I don't doubt that the other two suits may be equally as good, but I struggle to see how they could possibly be significantly better, so why pay £725 when you can get an equally good suit for £580?

I've said before that I think the Seaskins are underpriced - I honestly think he'd sell more if they were more expensive (the Stella Artois factor!). They are worth at least £100 more than he charges (as your comparative options tend to suggest) so grab one while you can!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Hi Edward,
Another vote for the seaskin, paid Richard a visit 3 weeks ago to get measured up, very good service & knowledge, should have mine in about 3 weeks....cant wait

Aaran

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
Personally I would avoid Cordura like the plague. It looks and feels nice and tough, but really doesn't wear that well and is quite restrictive.It is what is known in the motor trade as "a mugs eyeful" The more "traditional" 350gsm nylon trilaminate is much tougher, and also more comfortable to wear. Polyester trilaminate is very comfortable to wear,but slightly more delicate than the nylon

cheers

dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Personally I would avoid Cordura like the plague.
I'd agree. When I got my Seaskin I suggested it and Richard talked me out of it, as they had done extensive testing and found it provided no extra durability benefits and only made the suit heavier and less flexible. So it was with some surprise that I saw a Cordura Seaskin at Stoney yesterday - but then Richard will give the customer exactly what they want and I guess some people are stuck with their ideas!

My previous suit (a Northern Diver) was ordinary trilaminate and I saw that it lasted just as well and as long as I see their later Cordura suits doing now, so I'm happy that Richard's advice was sound.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your view :) ) my ND tea-bag suit decided not to leak on Sunday. So now I'm left with what appears to be a dry suit, but one that I don't trust in the slightest. I'd have loved the chance to get a shiney new sea-skin, but don't really have an excuse now. I did try my best to provoke a leak as well. So I may be keeping it, or I may e-bay it and get a new suit that I trust a bit more. Poo.

If I do replace it, then I'm pretty much set on a seaskin, but I will follow advice and go and get measured. And probably won't have cordura! Thinking about it my current suit is cordura, and I've had a few holes and punctures in it, it does feel quite stiff, and the material is starting to go 'furry' where it is wearing....

So, do I get a new suit or not?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts