YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All
I'm putting together a digital setup, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a cheap & cheerful slave strobe.

Any opinions on the Sunpak g flash?
Cheers

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

You could have a look at the digital adapter featured on the Digital Diver website.

Website for the gadget is here.

AIUI, you can take any strobe (as long as you can use a cable with a Sea & Sea or Nikonos plug) and make it compatible with a digi-cam - even the cheap and cheerful ones.  This really opens up your choices.

Have a look at the page and the range of strobes already tested and then check out the prices.

Alternatively, John Gulliver saw an Epoque torch that some people have had good results with.

Don't knwo about the Sunpak

What camera are you using?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Tim,
I had a look at that adapter, it seems that the advantage of using one would be the ability to use a second-hand strobe.

E99 for the adapter inc postage, that's about £66, I'd guess from a cursory look on ebay that I'd be paying at least another £70 for a decent condition, second-hand strobe.

I'm using a Nikon coolpix 4300 in a fantasea CP4 housing.

Cheers

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I'm getting one of these adapters with the Olympus TTL converter to test with my strobe (Inon 220).  I'll let you know how I get on with it.

For second hand strobes you could also look at Divernet Personal ads as there is often stuff there.  Also, keep an eye on Alan James' sitewhich is updated daily with used eqp -
Website

Remember to factor in the cost of a tray and arms as these aren't always cheap.

Here is the epoque strobe on Cameras Underwater.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Cheers, I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I suppose another benefit of using this system is that I can use tried and tested gear instead of buying something that nobody's heard of.

So if anyone's selling any cheap strobes, let me know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts