YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I went to my LDS today to order lenses for a new mask as I've recently had a new prescription, only to be told that they are not being supplied any more due to...guess what...H&S regs! - apparently in the USA divers have sued their dive shops when they've had problems after buying the wrong lenses for their sight.
Has anyone heard this? The shop rang Mares & Scubapro & got same answer - but the shop hadn't been aware until then!
I really didn't want to have to have lenses stuck onto the inside of my new mask again.............................

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
Hi, I went to my LDS today to order lenses for a new mask as I've recently had a new prescriptin, only to be told that they are not being supplied any more due to...guess what...H&S regs! - apparently in the USA divers have sued their dive shops when they've had problems after buying the wrong lenses for their sight.
Has anyone heard this? The shop rang Mares & Scubapro & got same answer - but the shop hadn't been aware until then!
Maybe saying it's a legal issue is just an easy excuse, and that the real reason is that it's costly to manufacture a range of lenses for each shape of mask, and designs are changing so frequently it hits their profit margin.

I'm off to my LDS today and will ask if they can still get stock lenses for masks.

Is there any particular mask you're wanting this for?

I really didn't want to have to have lenses stuck onto the inside of my new mask again.............................
I've had no problems getting prescription lenses ordered for fitting to Cressi masks.

I have a very complex prescription and off-the-shelf lenses are no use to me, so I've always had lenses bonded to the inside of my mask. I can highly recommend the place where my LDS has this done.

Due to the lens cost I've bought a spare mask of the same model, so I can transfer the lenses if the old one is damaged beyond repair (my prescription is pretty stable).

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi, I went to my LDS today to order lenses for a new mask as I've recently had a new prescriptin, only to be told that they are not being supplied any more due to...guess what...H&S regs! - apparently in the USA divers have sued their dive shops when they've had problems after buying the wrong lenses for their sight.
Hi Lindsey

I am a spekky 4 eyes with a prescription mask - I know that SDS in Sheffield have a prety good supply, a good range of masks that will accept short and long sight lenses, and lots of other dive shops will d othem (Divers wharehouse do em too, I'm not sure where you live) but a second opinion from another shop would be worth a go

Or if you are brave/know what you are doing then you can buy them online - I haven't done this myself but I only know because my Dad asked me about prescription swim goggles for my mum and I googled it... if they are selling you a specific mask then try a real one out before putting the internet order in (no point in shelling out for a mask that doesn't fit)

It does depend on your prescription - if you look at your current prescription and it has numbers in just the first box then you are basically good to go, but if you have a complex prescription with any kind of astigmatism then I'd go to the opticians and get advice from them prior to buying

Also, stuarts post above has it pretty much spot on :)

Ed

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I am pretty sure that my LDS still supply them. I will check with one of the guys who works there, and see what he says.

EDIT: he says no problem. Lenses are available in 0.5 diopter increments, you tell him what you want, he doesn't tell you. He can also get special presecriptions done, but it is more expenseive and the mask has to be sent away.

He can do it on telephone order as well.

HTH

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
These people will bond your actual prescription to a plain mask if that is any help. I have considered them, but haven't actually tried them, so can't comment on the finished product. But there should be no problem as you just send them a copy of your proper prescription and you get that just like you would if you ordered a pair of glasses.

·
Worlds leading exponent of anal acoustics
487 Posts
I use Technisub look masks they have + & - in .5 dioptres I also have optx lenses on the inside to see guages etc. clearly works very well.
Lee C

futures lookin so bright I gotta wear shades

·
1,286 Posts
These people will bond your actual prescription to a plain mask if that is any help. I have considered them, but haven't actually tried them, so can't comment on the finished product. But there should be no problem as you just send them a copy of your proper prescription and you get that just like you would if you ordered a pair of glasses.
Think they're the folks our LDS uses, will check later.

useful info here:
Minus lenses very rarely produce any distortion problems. Plus lenses, < because they have to be fitted to the inside of the mask and hence curve toward the eye, can produce some distortion. This takes the effect of good central vision but increasing peripheral distortion. The effects of this are fairly nominal up to around a power +4.00. Above this the effects do increase and can give the effect of tunnel vision.
well my +6 lenses will explain why I fail to see so much whilst I'm diving!

·
1,286 Posts
yep, my LDS uses Axis Optical in Sheffield for complex lenses or those outside the stock lens ranges.

we have 2 Cressi masks with lenses fitted by these guys, and can stick some photos up if you're interested.

In terms of stock lenses, the shop now stocks

Oceanic Ion mask and lenses in 0.5 dioptre steps (think this is only minus power lenses)
Beaver Discovery mask and lenses, minus and plus going up to +4

so, they can do simple lenses between -8.0 and +4.0 from manufacturer stock.

they'd not heard of any legal issue, but said the ranges change so much and so often, there's only a limited range that supply optical lenses.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prescription lenses

Thanks for all the advice!
Update:
I've had a Cressi Focus mask for years which was sent off by my LDS to be done (They say they use "Access" but I'm sure it must be Axis), however I've always hated having heavy glass bonded to the lenses & it's really hard to clean because of the tiny gap between prescrip lens & frame.
I've just gone up to -6 in one eye(-5.25 in other) so have been quoted £95 (think Axis charge £75 direct).
I didn't reallly want to pay this much for something I don't really like!!
So I thought I'd try "off the shelf" lenses (optician said I'd probably get away with these as my astigmatism is only bad in one eye, so to try -6 in that one too, to compensate).
I chose a Mares X Vision Mid mask because lenses were said to be available in the catalogue, but when the LDS rang, that's when the safety / sueing story came up. Scubapro said the same about their Futura 2 mask.
Blandford will sell me lenses, but £35 each, which is a lot for something that might not suit me. I could get another Focus with lenses for £30.50 each.

I thought slot- in lenses would be a cheaper option as well as being nicer if I "got on" with them, if not I could always have some made afterwards.
I'm not even sure the X Vision would give a good result with bonded lenses as it is a "Dame Edna" shape.

STUART - yes I'd be interested to see what your masks are like, please! (if only to see if I'm just being fussy about my old one!!)

I will try to find out what the other masks mentioned are like, and ask SDS which they stock & how much! cheers all!

·
1,286 Posts
STUART - yes I'd be interested to see what your masks are like, please! (if only to see if I'm just being fussy about my old one!!)
be gentle with me - this is me and my Cressi Horizon mask with +6 lenses celebrating a dive on my birthday...(beats working :teeth: )

the domed nature of my +ve lenses means it's not too difficult to reach the edge of the plate for cleaning. I find a soak in a solution of sterilising fluid and a go with a toothbrush shifts all the gunk.

my partner has -ve prescriptions and the lens gets thicker at the edges. Combined with the smaller Cressi lince mask it is a bit more difficult to get to the edges for cleaning (needs a clean so I'm not posting pics of it up until it's done or she'll kill me!)

if you want dry close-ups of the inside of the masks, I'll post them up too if this pic isn't sufficient.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cressi do a mask which you can buy prescription lenses for and change them yourself. so when your prescription changes you just change the lenses not the mask as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.