YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I dived the Eston and the Oslo Fjord/ Eugena Chandris with deep blue yesterday. I had a great time even though surface conditions were pretty bad over the eston and viz was a bit pathetic on the Chandris.

Anyway...I brought a few bullets up from the Chandris and was wondering what the best thing to do with them is. I am soaking them in fresh water 'cos I was told that this will leach out the chlorides for the metal. But what next?

What do I need to do? what do I need to do it? and where can I get it from?

Trewbs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Are they whole bullets or just cartridge cases? If whole then you should tell the receiver of wreck etc. Or the police who will take them away for destruction. (you need a license to own ammunition, and a registered safe to keep it in even if it's old.) However, if you want to polish em up and keep them for display? Well if their british made then don't worry as they probably weren't dangerous when they were new, but if they are'nt then be a bit careful as they might blow your fingers off. Sea water can make cordite unstable and more volatile - even a light tap could set them off. You can make em safe by removing the bullet from the cartridge using pliers. Might want to do this in a bucket of water and wrap the cartridge in cloth to stop it scratching. Empty out the black stuff and dispose. Soak the bits in vinegar and scrub off the gunk. Then use brass polish. Worked for me. PS please don't blow youself up as I'd probably get the blame.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts