YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Opinions:
Other than cost and the sensitivity issue why do most divers use a different or "lower performance" reg for the secondary/octo?
I use two Apeks ATX50's and with the venturi assistance turned down on the octo have never had a free flow or sensitivity issue.
Plusses: one reg type, same specs, same performance, no confusion
Minus: sensitivity if one forgets to detune the venturi, cost.
Any other reasons?  

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>NamTinker,
I think the main reason is cost. My first regs were Scubapro Mk 20, R380/R190s (I part exchanged 'em for Apeks, as I didn't like 'em). I couldn't afford R380/380s.

My current regs are ATX50/ATX40s... the 40s are cheaper, and I do not believe that they are lower spec... they just don't have an extra "toy" that I don't use anyway!

If I was to buy some more regs, either as replacements or for a pony, I'd probably consider ATX40/40, as I don't think I've moved the breathing resistance control thingie (not the venturi, the screw in one!) other than during cleaning, since I first got the regs.

regards
abucksdiver

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I have double TX40s, see no reason whatever to have a secondary that is a poorer performer than my primary. The price difference is not that great. I have a Scubapro R190 on my pony, though, because that was what the shop offered me. I'm very happy with it. It breathes well and I've dived with it through many cold Swedish winters and it has never free-flowed. It may not have all the bells and whistles some other regs have but it is a reliable work-horse.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

A low-quality backup is usually there because the owner decided it wouldn't be used often enough to buy an expensive one.

A good-quality but de-tuned backup is used to prevent freeflowing - the easier a reg is to breathe, the easier it is to freeflow it.

One of the nice thing about the "necklaced backup" idea is that it eliminates the penny-pinching lousy DV - people get a bit more concerned about their backup reg when it might be THEIR backup rather than somebody else's....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ May 22 2003,10:56)]A good-quality but de-tuned backup is used to prevent freeflowing - the easier a reg is to breathe, the easier it is to freeflow it.
I can't see any problem there. I just switch the venturi to minus.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] One of the nice thing about the "necklaced backup" idea is that it eliminates the penny-pinching lousy DV - people get a bit more concerned about their backup reg when it might be THEIR backup rather than somebody else's....
Very true!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just switch the venturi to minus.
So do I - my backup's a TX40

(Wonder if I could get a litte sticker for it, "My other DV's a TX100"...)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Dominic: Often enough would be one of those "relative" terms!  Hopefully never, but when you do...

John: There I do the same - just switch to max (-) on the venturi.
I do not (yet) use the necklaced octo but since the one in my mouth would be a prime "target"  
, the necklace makes a huge amount of sense.

A good thing that most divers over here still associate DIR with computers...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

I used to own a sh1tty sherwood slimline occy, that was until on a 40m wreck dive my buddy had problems with his regs and decided to use my primary reg to breath off leaving me the Sherwood, not the best at 5 atms. Since then I've invested in a Scubapro Mk20 with G250's for both second stages. 1 necklaced and detuned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A low-quality backup is usually there because the owner decided it wouldn't be used often enough to buy an expensive one
As well as a pre-dive check, I've got into the habit of switching to my backup reg (ATX40) during each dive under controlled conditions.  Not only does this give you practice (do it in low vis / night time / eyes closed etc) but it ensures that your reg works.  There's a lot of difference between a few breaths at the surface and needing to use it at 30 / 40 /50m etc.

Cheers,  John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

P.S.

don't forget to let your buddy know that you do this, particularly if it's not your regular dive partner.  A switched on buddy should spot the reg change and at least signal if all is okay.  It get their heart beat going for awhile though.

cheers,  John

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ May 22 2003,09:21)]I think the main reason is cost. My first regs were Scubapro Mk 20, R380/R190s (I part exchanged 'em for Apeks, as I didn't like 'em). I couldn't afford R380/380s.
The difference in price is ten pounds

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Seems to be a lot of interest in reg 'quality' etc. I can't help feeling that a lot of his comes from marketing from manufacturers. The bottom of the range regs on the market today were top of the range 15 years ago - and a lot of serious diving went on back then. My experience is that super-duper posh regs are no better than standard ones. It's only a simple valve, and the more whistles and bells and over-engineering the more likely it is to have a problem. If it works it works. All-metal, unbalanced pistons all the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts