YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes its me again - still computer illiterate! excuse me when I get my terminology wrong, my apologies in advance.

We have a Brother DCP-340CW printer which somehow I managed to originally set up on my own. But that was before my problems with my laptop which came back with a new hard drive so no settings for this printer. I must also point out that the second laptop in the house also uses this printer and it also seems to have the same problem i.e. it doesn't work anymore (but I daresay that’s down to me fiddling about!!). The second one stopped working after I changed ink cartridges which I assumed to be a coincident.

Ok both laptops are wireless to a BT router and both still connect to the internet as you can see I can post on here. The router connects to the printer by ethernet connection! (thats what it says on the lead).

I've run the set up disc on my laptop and it says it cannot see the ethernet connection, I've used the troubleshooter and put in the IP address in which enabled me to finish loading the software but the printer cannot be seen by the laptop.
I've tried connecting the ethernet connection direct from the laptop into the printer and don't get the message I expected saying new hardware found???? Again I have tried to figure out why and in network connections and find there is a “network cable unplugged” – but then it has always said that! the socket that it plugs in on the laptop has a steady green light top left and a yellow flashing one top right - if that means anything.
I’ve connected a USB lead between the printer and the laptop and it finds new hardware loads up software and prints. Wow!!!! – the online instructions say it will only print like this and not scan.

But this is the only way it will work.

I think I’ve followed instructions – like turn off the printer wait 10 seconds turn back on – turn off the hub, (when I turn it on all the lights flash including the Ethernet one) I’ve changed the Ethernet lead – turned the firewall off and nothing works!!
Oh someone suggested to me that the IP address of the printer should be near but not the same as the laptop so I have made it so – that’s what I meant about probably doing harm to the connection of the 2nd laptop - but it didn't work before that.

Does anyone have an answer for me apart from bin it all and get a typewriter???

Thanks Steven

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Never used a network printer like that but what i would suggest is to connect the printer to one of the laptops via USB and then in printer properties on that lapto, set the properties of the printer to sharing.

Then go into the Printers and faxes, then 'Add Printer', network printer and search and the printer should be displayed there. Select it and that should be it.

Regards

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never used a network printer like that but what i would suggest is to connect the printer to one of the laptops via USB and then in printer properties on that lapto, set the properties of the printer to sharing.

Then go into the Printers and faxes, then 'Add Printer', network printer and search and the printer should be displayed there. Select it and that should be it.

Regards

thanks but problem with that is we use both laptops downstairs and the printer is upstairs!
Its worked for about 9 months before this happened so its either a hardware or a "steven" problem!!!! I would guess??

oh and as a ps
the printer is suppose to connect wireless as well but as its is sat next to the router it seemed sensible to connect by wire!
I have today tried to connect wireless and although it finds the router on trying to establish the connection I get an error message saying connection failed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brother Printer

Hi Stephen

I've had a quick look at the Brother website. Your printer should be able to connect to the printer via the wireless port or by cable directly into the wireless router.

Brother Solutions Center: DCP-340CW: United Kingdom

Have a look at the FAQs and troubleshooting section, initial setup and network, and I think you will find your answer there.

I suspect that the printer is working using TCP/IP printing. This can be a bit of a pain to setup manually if you are not familiar with it.

Hopefully the initial install discs will reset everything for you.

Goog luck....

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
printer now fixed

thanks everyone who has taken time to answer and especially Ian who has talked me through sorting this problem out with much patience, it is very much appreiciated.

cheers Steven
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts