YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Having had ear infections after every dive I bought the Proear mask.

Before I start, this item is not based on any sort of theoretical research etc, only from actual use of the kit

I have not had a single ear infection since using this kit - 4 dives in cape where I continually got infections. Ears were dry after the dives (once I got the knack of clearing the ear cups.)

Another 4 dives or so and I will try out my old mask to see if the infection returns again. If it does than I can put this experience up for your review.

The chocolate teapot lives on............
Not pants yet.................................

Kirky

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Now on my sixth or seventh infection of the Summer and missing two days diving at St Abbs - really pissed off now!

I'll be storming into the GP tomorrow to finally try and get an ENT referal to get it sorted, but a Pro-ear mask may be a solution for me, so I look forward to the completion of your experiment.

I'm so frustrated because for three years of diving I never had one infection. It now seems that I only have to think about planning a dive before they start swelling up!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Good luck to the pair of you. I know it's a bitch, he said, tempting both fate and providence, but in nearly 14 years of diving, I've never had so much as a non-equalisable descent (salt and sweet water), let alone an infection.

May you both get pain/norz-free soon and get back to that which you love!

Cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Sep. 21 2003,23:27)]Now on my sixth or seventh infection of the Summer and missing two days diving at St Abbs - really pissed off now!

I'll be storming into the GP tomorrow to finally try and get an ENT referal to get it sorted, but a Pro-ear mask may be a solution for me, so I look forward to the completion of your experiment.

I'm so frustrated because for three years of diving I never had one infection. It now seems that I only have to think about planning a dive before they start swelling up!
I know this may seem odd, but Like Bren I cant recall a single ear infection gained from diving.

I think this is because very early on I watched a diver swilling out his ears with a bottle of liquid after emerging from a dive. After a chat and discovering it was plain tap water I started this practice and continued it since.

A standard mineral water bottle is filled with tap water the evening before a dive and kept in the car to maintain a constant temp. Once surfaced I will empty half the bottle into one ear and the remaining water into the other ear, lean head to allow water to drain out, dry ears/head/hair as best you can.

I must admit during the winter when the temp drops it can be a bit of shock to the system and of course lots of jokes about using your mouth to drink water. But hey no ear infections.

Who has the last laugh  

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts