YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Good morning all,

I'm having a little bit of a problem with Windows 98 on my fathers computer. Everything was going fine after we installed BT broadband - it still worked - but after reading the FAQ section it suggested that we have a seperate firewall and antivirus software installed.

No problem I thought as I have these at home. The antivirus (AGV - I think) and the firewall (zone alarm) are free issue off the net and work fine on my machine. However after unpackaging them and restarting the 'pooter I noticed the problem.

Windows starts up fine but the moment you try to do anything it all goes black and a little box says "graphic display not supported" or something like that. This is gotten around by pressing escape and you can see windows again. I tried to uninstall the two programs I had just installed but when I press the uninstall icon from the program list it tells me that access is denied. I tried again, this time through the control panel but when I press the "ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS" icon it says access is denied. In fact when I press anything it says "access is denied"

The most obvious way to solve the problem would be to put in the system restore disk but I've done this before and it erases the hard drive which isn't really an option as it has a load of Dad's work on it (databases and such like - he's a financial advisor).

Does anyone have an idea of what went wrong? and what I can do to work around the solution and get Dad's PC back to it's state of rude health it was in before I ballsed it all up.

Thanks in advance,

Noel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

As a first step, have you tried opening up in Safe Mode? This will open with a minimal set of programs running and may help you to trace the problem. You may also be able to delete the offending programs from there.

Get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 while the computer is booting up.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks I'll try that. I'm not too adept with these infernal things myself - I didn't even know how to start safe mode!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Noel

Safemode is a start.

Then you may be able to backup your system...

Do you still have the problem if you uninstall ZA and AVG once in safe mode?

It may be worth uninstalling the graphics card driver and reinstalling. Sometimes installers overwrite file versions that other software must use.

Did you get a 98 CD with the PC, or is it one based on the HD in the first place (bloody Microsoft)? You could try installing a second version of 98. Not nice though.

I don't use 98 so am not much help, I went from 95 to 2000. (I always prefered the NT based OSes)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

Noel - if Safe Mode doesn't work.

Open up in Normal Mode and then hit Start - Run and type msconfig into the box that comes up.

On the StartUp tab, disable the startup programs, reboot and see if things return to normal. If they do, then you can start adding them back in by a process of elimination.

Another thing that might cause problems with the graphics card is if you have accidentally changed your settings. e.g. setting too high a refresh rate can have this effect. Have a look in Control Panel - Display - Advanced (at least, that's what it is in XP, Windows 98 may be slightly different, I haven't used it for a while)

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Thanks fella's, I'll try out your recomendations when I'm out of this hellish air conditioned office this afternoon and back from the dentist. I will, of course, keep you up to date with the situation whilst I'm playing.

Thanks again,

Noel

ps. The version of Windows was installed on the HD so I don't have the original disk

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Mdemon
Win 98 has no access contols based on user name, all the user name authentication does is get you into the computer. Also If you know what you are doing you can get into a Win98 PC without knowing a valid user name and password.

Noel,
The easiest way is to recover the Win98 install key (best bet is to PM me, it's easiest to talk it through on the phone)
then to place the HDD as a secondary in another PC and copy off all the data you want to keep.

If you live close to Reading your welcome to bring it over and I'll back up the data you want to keep onto CD's for you. I also have the CD's you'll need to reload the PC once you've recovered the Win98 licence key.
====edit====
I've just looked at your profile, Reading's probably a bit far!
==end edit===

Simon A

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Being as I'm a programmer (of sorts) and not IT as such but have re-installed W89 a coupleof times without losing my data is this not a possible solution. I thought a re-install just overwrote the w98 programme files not the other stuff on the HD. It might also wipe out other programme file such as Word etc or other installed software on the C drive (under programme files).
A copy of w98 shouldnt be too hard to get hold of, local computer fare or shop might help. My guess is its going to be cheap.

Another option is to jump to Windows Me upgrade disc, guy in work jumped from 95 to Me without getting 98 and said all the files existed that were required on the new disc (Me).

What do you reckon guys? (and gals I assume)

Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Dec. 05 2003,12:57)]Another option is to jump to Windows Me upgrade disc
from the frying pan into the fire  
 Win Me ? neine danke!
Matt, let me know if you want to move up to a proper OS, I can let you have Win2K Pro

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks all, I'm on Dad's machine and it's working again
I went into safe mode as suggested previously (sorry if I got various genders mixed up Welshdiver, I meant no offence)  and was able to uninstall the programs from there. I've re-installed the firewall due to the machine being broadband and so far all seems to be OK although I'll encourage Dad to fully back the system up next week when he's back.

Once again Thanks, you've all been a masive help and if you're in Anglesey tomorrow it would be my pleasure to buy you a pint.

Noel

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

Noel,
depending on how you uninstalled Zone Alarm some parts of it may be in the system.
Hopefully this wont cause you any problems, but if it does let me know and I'll take you through the process of removing the bits that are left (although for 80% of people the bits left aren't a problem).

Simon A

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Noel Johnson @ Dec. 05 2003,15:18)](sorry if I got various genders mixed up Welshdiver, I meant no offence)
Not at all - you couldn't have known!

Glad the machine is working again. Maybe you could try a different anti-virus program. I use Norton Anti-Virus 2003 myself and haven't had any problems with it on any of the operating systems I've installed it on. I haven't met any conflicts with ZoneAlarm either, which I also use.  

Thanks for the offer of a pint, sadly I am at the other end of Wales so will not be able to take you up on it. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

re: System Restore disk. I once used a System Restore disk to fix friend's Windows ME machine and it DID erase all the documents she had created. Also all Internet Connection settings etc. Luckily, I had backed the relevant data up before I started.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (welshdiver @ Dec. 05 2003,16:43)]re: System Restore disk. I once used a System Restore disk to fix friend's Windows ME machine and it DID erase all the documents she had created. Also all Internet Connection settings etc. Luckily, I had backed the relevant data up before I started.
Luckily...

Surely you planned it that way.  

Mind you the last backup device I bought will only handle a few gig, thats nothing these days.

Adrian

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Dec. 05 2003,18:09)]Mind you the last backup device I bought will only handle a few gig, thats nothing these days.
At the time I made the backup, the only facility my friend had for backing up was the floppy disk drive! Hence the "luckily"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts