YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Problems with Apeks ATX 40s - Have you had or do you know of any......

• Slow air leak on surface (summer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air leaks/free flows in water

• General adjustments

• General quality

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Both myself and a couple of friends have had various problems with Apeks ATX 40s, mostly air leaks in cold conditions. Apeks say this is very rare, despite mine being back to them 3 times. I am Just trying to understand if this is actualy more common than they know, or will admit to.

James

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Not on the ATX40 but my ATX200 about three months into it's life had to be returned to Apexs as thediaphragm had spontaneously stiffened - a rare but not under of occurance due to the nature of the material they are made of - and put inhalation pressure up by 50%

"If it was that bad, it should not have left the factory" to quote Apexs

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I'vr had a coupl of leaks with my ATX40 octo, details on the other thread. In short, they were always traceable to other factors....poor cleaning or accidents

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Interesting to see it's 50/50 with problems so far although there has not been many votes yet. I contacted Apeks yesterday, no reply. I left three messages for them today, no reply. This is pretty poor, I will have to keep trying though, as my regs need fixed and I am not going to pay them to do it again, they were only in the factory 6 months ago with the same problem.

James

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've got various Apeks regs and some made by other manufacturers and I can honestly say I've never had a problem due to design.

I've dropped a few sets of reg off the back of me car, the bench on aboat and both sets have either been fixed in situ or have been put back together with a new spindle.

With my reputation for dropping things I woudn't dive with anything else. For me they are pretty much bullet proof.

I'll admit that I did hear a small leak whilst dodging around the other week. I shut off the primary and breathed it down and the bubbling stopped - so that isolated which side it was - and I eventually whilst under the water saw that I'd got a tiny leak from the long hose.

The only problem I've had in 300 dives with em and that was down to the hose I put on.

When you get hold of Apeks - tell 'em to sort it but just for interest have you thought about increasing the cracking pressure just a wee bit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

I have had a problem with my ATX40's free flowing.
For the first year they were absolutely fine. Then coming up to service time I started to get a constant, light free flow from the primary second stage. It's not the external cracking pressure knob setting to blame, BTW.
The problem would often not be apparent at the beginning of a dive but would develop during.
The octo also developed the same problem. A service did not help. Finally I spoke to a geezer on the Apeks stand at the Dive Show. He said you need to take the second stage off and adjust the setting of the internal DV lever (must be a technical name for it. Don't know what). There is a tool you need to do this. I've had that done and problem seems to have alleviated. I'm a bit concerned though because I don't know why the problem developed.
A couple of points: this problem is annoying (it got very annoying) but not life threatening. I didn't feel that there was any possibility of any kind of catastrophic failure; it just seemed to get gradually worse. Of course you want your regs to be 110%. Secondly, I've always been happy with the breathe I get off these regs and I want to keep hold of them: I just want them to work!
Happy NY,
Paul

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I`ve had this with my TX40`s. Problem was a build up of shyte on the diaphragm. Prior to servicing I stopped it by unscrewing the front cover by about a quarter of a turn

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Jan. 06 2004,17:59)]When you get hold of Apeks - tell 'em to sort it but just for interest have you thought about increasing the cracking pressure just a wee bit.
Good point - but tried it.

I was actualy in the Apeks factory with Andy Davis, the design manager, when he sorted this for me 6 months ago and assured me it was just poorly adjusted. (It had been services 6 months prior by the factory) I left thinking it was finaly sorted - it was not. If a reg cannot keep it's adjustment for 6 months there is something wrong, it does not get a hard life and gets it's services. I have an ATX 100 and it has never missed a beat, well pleased with it.

James

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>James - I agree - I've never touched mine and they perform fine.

I'll be looking after them meself and then ditching after three years.

I've got old TX50s BTW

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>always having grief with mine (atx40) leaking small amounts of air. mainly due to them needing cleaning inside, the ventithingi needing readjusting again or just  a damm good hit. ive got a posh scubapro and no matter how much abuse it gets it just works perfect.

Can I start ranting about shite custom divers torches?

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ben @ Jan. 06 2004,22:56)]Can I start ranting about shite custom divers torches?
Course you can! In fact, why don't we invite some dive company reps to the YD gig in Feb, get pissed and tell them just how to run the dive industry? This is a bit toungue in cheek but may actualy help it.

James

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PaulC @ Jan. 06 2004,18:33)]I started to get a constant, light free flow from the primary second stage. It's not the external cracking pressure knob setting to blame, BTW.
The problem would often not be apparent at the beginning of a dive but would develop during.
The octo also developed the same problem.
<font color='#000080'>have you had the first stage looked at? a leak at the high pressure seat in the first stage will cause slow leaks from the second stages as the interstage pressure rises.

apparently, people often think the problem is with the second stages, so try to fix it that way. the fact that the occy is doing the same thing would also seem to suggest it's a problem with the first stage

just a thought.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Best bet is to call Apeks and ask to speak to Landon - he sorted my ATX200 right away - top quality

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have had my ATX40 regs about a 9 months now and 45 dives on the second stage is starting to leak a little when I have the air on. A purge stops this for a minute or two then it starts again. Chris (guy from LDS) who I've dived with when this happened said it would probably be the first stage presure increasing slightly and an adjustment to lower it would probably sort it. My regs are going in for service as soon as I get round to it.

On the service point, I've heard diffferent views from different divers. Would you service your regs once a year or only if something goes wrong? Different divers suggest both options but what would/do you do and why? I have my own reason for servicing them once a year but I'm interested to hear your side?

Dave C

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i don't bother too much with my regs, as they are reasonably new and i have never had problems with them. probably some time in the next year i'll have them looked at. i know people who can do this, but if i didn't i'd take them to a shop i trusted to know what they were doing.

i wouldn't service every year a reg i knew was performing well and i knew had been well looked after (no knocks, thorough wash after every dive, inc fresh water).

our club regs are serviced every year, this is because they are badly treated and therefore have problems, also we have a responsibility to keep them in top condition if we are putting people in the water with them

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Jan. 07 2004,12:26)]I have had my ATX40 regs about a 9 months now and 45 dives on the second stage is starting to leak a little when I have the air on. A purge stops this for a minute or two then it starts again. Chris (guy from LDS) who I've dived with when this happened said it would probably be the first stage presure increasing slightly and an adjustment to lower it would probably sort it. My regs are going in for service as soon as I get round to it.

On the service point, I've heard diffferent views from different divers. Would you service your regs once a year or only if something goes wrong? Different divers suggest both options but what would/do you do and why? I have my own reason for servicing them once a year but I'm interested to hear your side?

Dave C
Firstly, I finaly got to speak to Andy at Apeks today. He offered to sort out the problem if I sent the regs back to the factory again, which I agreed tp do.

When I send them, I'll include a not with the link to this thread, he still recons there is not a problem, but 40% of the votes in a couple of days say otherwise to me?

As for annual services, it's personal preferance, but if you look at your regs as life support equipment which could cause death if they totaly fail, would you then service them annualy? My gripe would be the cost, my car costs £25k and only costs a couple of hundred to service annualy and is used far more regularly and treated worse!

James

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yes James

But a minor failure (say a puncture) probably will not kill you, a reg failure could.

I know what my life is worth (insurance policy to prove it  
) so servicing is cheap if you ask me.

·
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Driftwood @ Jan. 08 2004,12:16)]But a minor failure (say a puncture) probably will not kill you, a reg failure could.
You'r right Driftwood, that's why I'm pissed at spending around £700 on three sets of regs two years ago which have been serviced and have colectively gone wrong on at least half a dozen occasions. The two sets of scubapros I have are 5 years old now and have never failed.

James

1 - 19 of 19 Posts