YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Anyone on here had any problems with servicing of drysuits at the manufacturers?

I've had to send a drysuit back to the manufacturers for alterations and its been eight weeks since I sent if off. Its still not clear when it will be returned. Comment anyone. ( I'm not saying who the manufacturer is as its got my drysuit and my initial purchase cash. )

Cheers  

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>A lot of companies are slow at the moment due to orders from the dive show. Chase them up and give them the Hard Word if you get no joy.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

same as the last post dont let them rest a phone call usualy does the trick
ps how come u dont want to name the company
???if it was my suit they had i would be singing from the rooftops believe me !!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>i guess he figures whilst they are still in possesion this may not be a wise thing but may sing when it returns

·
Registered
38 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>sent my suit back to seac sub for a new neck seal pressure tested and back with me in under 2 weeks great service

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Have you phoned them to chivvy them up a bit? I had to with a certain very well known shop whose name might be easily confused with a brothel (that a big enuff clue for ya?):p  Once I done the "Oi ! you !!" routine it was sorted.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Dave,

Give them a call.  Many of the manufacturers are snowed under following the diveshow,  however if you don't chase them up and other people keep phoning them and asking them to hurry up who do you think will get their suit first?

At the very least they should give you an approximate date to have it sorted.

Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
I'm sure there are a few horror stories in this line.

Luckily, I've always 'been lucky' ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not a horror story

Had to send SWMBO's suit back to Typhoon for the neckseal to be replaced (I'm not convinced it was their fault) I phoned on the Monday, dropped it off at work the next day for collection, and it was delivered back to work on the Friday, 4 days turnaround.
Impressive.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
O3 are very busy right now.
Last week, I was given a date of 10th Jan for some alterations, but I was asked if I was in a hurry, so I assume that there was some scope for expediting it. Being an honest sort of chap, I said no.
I'm impressed that they're as organised as this, they obviously don't want people to just send their suits in only to wait for a month when they might be able to use them.

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Northern Diver's service I thought was disgraceful. They promised me a suit in three weeks, came two months later done wrong. I had the neck seal go while in Florida, the local drysuit fixer there couldn't get the old seal off because they used the wrong kind of glue on it. I got some work done on it at ND's shop, went to pick it up and it wasn't done because the leccy board had cut them off. I wouldn't buy an o-ring never mind anything else from them.

Otter have been brilliant. They made it on time, they threw in an extra undersuit, 2 pairs of socks, 2 hoses, 2 hoods & 2 bags. I got a new zip and neck seal a few weeks ago, couldn't fault them, they did it in just over a week. Dead good staff too.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
northern diver = 'new neck seal, that'll be 2-3 weeks'

Hammond dry suits = 'leave it here, go to kent diving, and come back in an hour' Job done.

Guess where I'll be taking my ND suit in the future.

The suit is fine, the service isn't. Quoted four weeks for MTM for the missus. Took longer, and had to go and collect it (400 mile round trip) in order to have it before the dry suit course.

cheers

·
13,407 Posts
I thought the suit was rubbish too. Supposedly 2mm crushed neoprene, more like 4mm and very stiff. It's stiffened by so much now that my old Robin Hood 8mm neoprene is more comfy.

In fact, my old RoHo was a great suit.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I must admit if I had my time again, I would have gone to O3. But cash dictated otherwise, as we were buying two suits (myself and the missus), and had just bought all our other gear as well. And after that we still had to be able to afford to go diving ;-)

As to the flexibility thing, our suits are cortexs (membrane) hence no problems so far, although I must admit my mate has a divemaster which does seem a bit 'stiff'.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I've never understood the rants about Nortern Diver service.

I've always been happy with my suit. In the five years that I've had it I've had two routine leaks repaired and both were done on time and one was done as an emergency on a three day turn around. I've just had the neck and wrist seals replaced for the first time and had a neoprene neck warmer attached and the suit came back two weeks early. I've not dived it to test it yet, but it looks like they've done a cracking good job.

So why is the service that I get perfect while everyone else's seems to be pants? I do live nearby and deal with them directly; going to the shop and speaking with them face-to-face. Perhaps that is the difference.

·
13,407 Posts
I suppose it's like the rants people do about Go Dive too. I thought Go Dive were fine when I used them but they seem to be well hated.

I had a bad experience with ND so went elsewhere. I know at that time they were facing, er, difficulties so maybe they are better now. But to me a suit is a big investment and one that if gotten wrong will seriously f*** up your enjoyment of diving. Otter had a good rep and I spoke to them before I made the purchase. They even showed me the workshops (I guess it was a slow day!).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
To Quote Mark
So why is the service that I get perfect while everyone else's seems to be pants? I do live nearby and deal with them directly; going to the shop and speaking with them face-to-face. Perhaps that is the difference.

I'm local and have visited many times.
I understand the point youre making Mark, and maybe "so far" you've no cause for complaint long may it continue.The firm made several transitions since Mike started it in the 1980's and having known it from those early days and being able to make a comparison i'm saddened that in my opinion to use a phrase "Things ain't what they used to be"

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The service that I get from my LDS is perfect, I drop my suit off.
They call me when its ready, I go and pick it up ,
some times its a 1 week some times its 6 weeks,

i just go with the flow ,

But then again, I do have 4 suits to go at,
Its a hard life, So like to have some back up.

Steve G

1 - 19 of 19 Posts