YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

I been using Prodive planner for 3 years now and found it very simple and good. But now I have a big problem with it, I cannot make it to run on my new computer running  XP windows. Before I had Windows Me and was fine, then did an upgrade to XP but left Me as well. Now that I have only XP I cannot make this programme to run, when I click on it, it will open first screen and then ask you to press a key but nothing happens! I tried it on other comps. and worked ok. Has anyone had this problem? Can someone tell me if I can set something in windows, I tried to set it to win 95 contability but to no avail!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Windows XP uses different "guts" to XP so some DOS programs won't work (especially if they try and take direct control of the systems hardware). Saying that Delta-P's ProPlanner is DOS based and works on XP fine.

Getting old DOS programs to work with XP can be quite a task so I'd recommend trying to get the latest copy of Prodive first and/or getting in touch with their support guys as a first port of call.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Hi Pierre
The other choice you have is to run it in compatability mode.
If you right-click on the icon, and select the compatability tab, you can change it to run as if under an earlier OS - not sure if this will work, but definitely worth a try
HTH
Martin

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My memo mouse doesn't work properly either, I loose the profile line.  

FB

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Imported post

These programs are probably having problems running because XP does not run under a DOS shell, that earlier versions of Windows were based on.

The first choice would be to contact the application's support and ask them if the program is compatible with Windows XP. If it is, then get them to talk you through setting it up. If it isn't then read on...

You have a couple of options. The first, and neatest, is to dual boot your PC with an earlier version of windows. This works very well, but you do need to have someone do it for you.

The second option is to create a DOS Partition using a 3rd party utility like partition manager. You can then boot the machine using a Windows 98 Boot disk ( free off the web) and run the program in the DOS Partition.

All sounds very complicated, but if you get someone with a bit of IT knowledge to sort it out for you, the end result is easy to understand and use.

Garf

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Even easier, assuming you have a FAT partition would be to make a boot floppy or CDROM containing DOS - just boot off that for the program.

Saves installing 2 windows.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>fiona
go to scubapro website
there is a xp version to download
dave

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>pierre,
mine runs on windows xp but i have to admit it is one of my colleages that takes care of things.
i will get him to post if you still have a problem after the weekend i'm afraid he's away till tuesday.
see if someone else gives you the info in the meantime,bottom line it will work on xp.

cheers
barrie

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

I tried again to play with compatabily setting, tried it on friends XP pc and worked ok. Reloaded XP software, but did not format mine. Still not working. Anyone had any problems like mine even with other DOS based software, I think the is something wrong with my pc and not software!

Come on guys show me how good you are, solve me this problem please  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts