YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many untold visits to the doc due to ear infections after EVERY dive, and despite the failure of SwimEar, EarClear, EarBeer, clean distilled water etc etc, I finally purchased a ProEar mask.

Tried it out today - heres my initial feedback

OK - so I look like Mickey mouse in it, my wife couldn`t stop laughing as I`m sat in my living room, hood on, mask on and shes drawing around the ear cups so I can cut holes for the cups.  Holes duly cut I put the hood back on - funny feeling having your lugholes flapping thru the holes. OK fits nice so its off to Cape for a try out.

Dive one - First into Cape and quick in before anyone I know sees me !!. Settle on the 2m platform to fine tune and away we go. First problem is that any hair around the ears gets in the way and if it gets trapped under the cups its wet ears - Yep - first dive, wet ears - load of crap.

Second dive - this time I get my buddy to check for leaks as we descend. Its a bit weird as you have to breathe out thru your nose so that the ear cups maintain ambient pressure. This time not bad - minor leaks and actually managed to clear the cups (bit like clearing the mask but you put pressure on the top of the ear cup with your hand while blowing out thru your nose, this displaces the water (Yes - it helps to read the instructions between dives - even if they are in German)

Noticed that leaks were more at shallower depths (obvious due to less external pressure holding the cups close to your ear)

Final analysis - will try again next weekend at Cape with trimmed hair and mussy. Nothing conclusive apart from I need more practice!!!

Also will see if I get an infection this time - yes ears got wet but not totally soaked such that water got right into the tubes.

I`ll update and let you know.......................

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>researched this for a medical reason and discovered it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Yes, it can reduce the incidence of infection assuming proper use and correct function else it's pants. But so could anything that prevents sea water / sewerage coming into contact with your epidermis.....

If you can't equalise, you can't equalise.... Proear won't help that (muxh - equalising air is easier than equalising water due to density difference)

No doubt Howard will come on and say something different about it's effectiveness and give links to testomonials......

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Driftwood @ Sep. 14 2003,00:47)]If you can't equalise, you can't equalise.... Proear won't help that (muxh - equalising air is easier than equalising water due to density difference)
Hi Drifty, AIUI, the pro-ear isn't marketed to help equalisation but to do as Kirky needs ie to stop infections.  I seem to have the exact same problem and my ears are constantly having antibiotic drops put into them which is a real PITA.

Not sure if I'd go for the pro-ear tho - there must be another way to stop these bloody infections - just have to keep experimenting, coz I'm not going to stop diving.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hey Driftwood - I posted the report for those who were interested (and requested it) and wanted to know a bit more.

Have you actually tried the mask??

Did I state it was to help me equalise??

How far did your research go??

If you want to add to this topic please add something constructive. People might stop posting info if the response is seen as opinionated `pants`

I`m not advertising the kit - just giving an insight (from actual use) Come on - tell us all your direct experience with this kit in use - it might help me and others. If not, well, people will see your post as I have

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

I have only seen one person using this bit of kit and he went from being totally unable to equalise to having no problem at all, I'm not sure if its just a psychological thing or if it actualy does help but if it works, is safe and lets people dive when otherwise they wouldn't be able to I say use it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts