YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thierry enquires:

"Just got an AP-valve AP25c lift bag from santa for lifting light objects such as anchors and I was wondering if they are some worthwhile tips on using lift bags (i.e. rigging, boyancy control, carrying objects while continuing your dive) and practical modifications (i.e. extending the dump valve cord)."

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

Practice first,the laws of physics can be a bitch!However it's common sense (has he done the course in that?).Play about with dumping the air to a)control the ascent,b)actually get the object moving off the bottom.Many people put way to much gas in,suddenly the thing breaks for the surface!This can cause probs in many ways especially if it hits something topside,it may the spill it's air and come back at you..not funny!
Take care not to become entangled in the bags strops etc.If it does go daft you don't want to be carried with it.If you're going to move the object,keep hold of it,by hand or by a line.Once at neutral bouyancy the can go suprisingly far when given a push(I once lost a concrete drainage pipe due to this when I got to the end of my umbilical,Swine thing just floated off into the gloom!)
Make sure you're riggings correct ie.your knots won't come undone(if you can't tie knots tie lots!),use the correct knots etc for what you're lifting,remember that it will shift on ascent etc.Consider what you're lifting,tubular objects can slide out of your rigging and cause mischeif below(as anything will if it drops,so try to keep divers clear from a "drop zone")
Personally I'd send yopur object up then continue the dive if possible/leave lifting to the end.
Try to use a spare cylinder for inflating it,your gas is yours,it's limited and you'll be upset if there is'nt enough left for you,after you've given the bag enough.
I think many of the manuals have words on this so read round,I'll see if we've any web links to use.Hope this helps,Hobby!
See,common sense really!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Yep, good advice Hobby

Stay clear of the bag once it's up, inflate it with small bursts of whatever air souce you are using and aim to get it just hovering above the floor initially then natural bouyancy will take it it if you lift it slightly. Keep control of it on the way up, use the dump to control it and should you lose control then get well away from it and look after your own bouyancy.

Knots are knots - if you can tie 'em properly all well and good if not just make sure they are strong - be sure to test then before sending the bag on its way. Keep the area around you as clear from other people as possible. All common sense really.

Have fun  :biggrin:

Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Bren,
Next time you are at Capernwray if I am not working we can go and have a play and lift some torpedos (not real ones). Let me know and we can get something organised.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks a bunch Phil, will do, a very kind offer. I've never used one miself, though have been next to guys putting stuff down and lifting stuff up who have. So thanks yes, will have a 'bag' of that!

How often are you training? , as I can usually make weekends - weekdays find me all over the planet, alas.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Bren,
I am free this Sat but not Sun then I hope things might go quiet for a while so I can do my own thing on the weekend. So let me know when you are available and we can sort something out, anyone else up for it? No we cannot lift the Podsnap, that might put me in the bad books!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I'm definitely up for it although this weekend might be awkward for me as I disappeared all last weekend diving, I'm disappearing all of next weekend diving so I'm thinking that my nutts might end up in a sorry state should I mention to the wife that I'm disappearing this Saturday too....

I'll work on it and hope to be there...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I can't do this weekend either unfortunately - meals, parties, wife etc. Let's pick a weekend in late Jan, early/ Mid Feb when we can all do it? What's your diary looking like boys??

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Dave,
No problem, we will sort something when you have built up your brownie points. Have you mentioned the fact you NEED a new suit yet?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Bren,
We posted at the same time then! That sounds good then we can sort a date a few weeks ahead so I can make sure I am free. It will make a change to be able to have a good chat and get to know you all. Not too many though or we will end up with a complete no vis situation in the Search and Recovery area.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Guys,

I've got a bag just waiting for some action too - hows about 31st Jan / 1st Feb as I'm up there anyway - be good to put names to faces - Phil you're excluded on that count I think I'll recognise your cheecky chappy mug !!

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Hey Paul, Phil & Davey,

01st Feb (Saturday) works for me! I could even do the 02nd Feb (Sunday) too if if that fits better with your plans.

Bag Action it is then: gentlemen - choose your weapons!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Yep, Sunday would be good !

Surely we could take the Cessna at least with all these bags ! :maniac:

Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

OK 2nd Feb it is, I have just put that in the diary so hopefully I wont forget. Just have to hope that I dont get bullied into doing something else that day. I really should be more forceful!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts