YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Underwater no-one can eat ice cream
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi.  I almost always get an ear infection in my right ear after diving.  I found a website for vented ear plugs that keep the water out by surface tension and diving is one of their recommended uses.#

Has anyone tried these? www.proplugs.com

Chrz

DaveS

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
I know this is a reply to a very old message but it may be of interest to someone.

I used to have my ears syringed on a pretty regular basis, ear wax and all that. The nurse advised me not to get my ears wet......... this advice to a diver!!! It would seem that my ears were producing loads of wax to protect them from constantly getting wet.

I started to use proplugs and have done so for nigh on two years. I have had no problems since.

They are vented so let me equalise ok underwater. These are a brilliant invention and at around £12 from a local music shop a bargain.

You need to go and get your ears sized for the plugs as there are around 8 different sizes.

My local dive shop has recently taken an interest and are considering selling them.

·
Underwater no-one can eat ice cream
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh, at last someone who has tried them out!

Which music shop did you use? And in which bit of Greater Manc-cester-shire are they in? I'm in Wigan.

Chrz
DaveS

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
The music shop near the mancunian way flyover on the road with the University on it. Can't remember his name. They are brill though. I have three pairs, two with leashes and one set without. They will take one look at your ear and tell you which of the eight sizes that will fit.

They can be got mail order as well once you know what size to have.

Cheers

Lyvia

·
Registered
21 Posts
These things are great - not cheap though. I use the vented ones for diving and lap swimming. Get the red ones instead of clear - that slows down the loss rate.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Tom Winters said:
Get the red ones instead of clear - that slows down the loss rate.
What loss rate ? don't know anything about these but sounds good .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a pair on Saturday (clear, vented) as he suffers from ear infections when diving and after two dives at Wraysbury with dry suit diver (nice to meet you Steve!), all appears to be well, so I know they do seem to work and have stopped by buddy from packing it all in.
Martin

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
Glad to see that they are used successfully by other people too. I'm sure lots of other divers would find them useful if they gave them a try.

Cheers

Lyvia

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just checked the site given by DaveS and further in is a sizing chart (http://www.proplugs.com/images2/sizing-chart.pdf) so that you can measure your own ears and order online without the hassle of finding a local supplier.
I'll be trying this soon I hope.
Cheers all
Mart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts