YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have knackered my knee again and I am so bored I am watching Thomsons TV - Redsea.

I was more than a little concerned when they showed the Dolphinella aquarium in Sharm, I thought Thomsons had agreed not recommend this place to their clients, seems they are still one of only a couple of companies which still do. I have just been to the Marine Connection website to check out Dolphinella who are still maiking false claims about their dolphins.

Looking through the Marine Connection links I found this. Statement on Dugongs welldone HEPCA, the last time I was in the bay there must have been over 20 liveaboards. I think there was a report on here of a boat dropping it's anchor on the reef.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Something obviously needed to be done to protect the very few dugongs there still are in the Red Sea and it's good that boats will be prevented from entering and mooring in the bay. I'm not clear what the proposed publicity campaign involves, though. Will it still be possible/allowed to dive in the bay from shore or is all diving with the dugong(s) prohibited from now on? I've spent several hours in the seagrass unsuccessfully looking for the dugong and was hoping to get another try fairly soon but am obviously willing to abstain if there is any suggestion that divers stress these fantastic animals, though, judging by the photos and films I've seen, they seem to go on foraging quite happily without bothering about any divers nearby.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
I've dived with these fantastic animals a couple of times and have never seen them show any sign of stress at our presence, but there again I'm not an expert in their behaviour. It would seem logical to assume that anything "alien" to their environment should cause some degree of stress but the other side of that argument is that they have been receiving visitors at Marsa Shagra for so long they might miss us :embarassed: . Certainly the scars from the various boats are distressing to see and I was very glad to see the exclsuion zone when I was there this year. Is there any scientific evidence to say that those animals which don't get visited by humans are more content, more likely to breed etc?

John, I know you have been planning this trip to see them for ages, I for one would not hesitate to dive there again under the new conditions, as long as I and my fellow divers stuck to the look but don't touch rule.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have just received a response from Marine Connection as follows.

Marineconnection said:
Thank you for your email and concern over this issue – I have received a report yesterday (Monday 28 May), from my colleagues in the area as follows :

It's definitely closed. At the moment its closed to ALL and everyone until they organise the markers for the closed area, then they will let in divers and snorkellers from the shore, along the reefs. I have seen it myself today.”

I hope that this clarifies the matter and thank you for your attention to this as it allows us to address issues when people bring them to our attention, hopefully in this instance it was simply a case of crossed messages as it was being used by some the week before last but is now definitely closed.
If anyone sees activity in the bay area from Liveaboads, please could you keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that, Fiona.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts