YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Having got wet from chest to crotch(!) on my last few dives i suspected a leak & inspected inside...around the crotch (at "crossroads" where 4 seams meet) the membrane was a little puckered.
I applied black witch & seemed to be much drier (but not bone dry as previously).
The suit is a 6 yr old otter cordura. Last year they recommended new boots when it was in for a new zip as it was "good for a long time yet", so i'm a bit miffed it now seems to be wearing out less than a year later.
So, does anyone know if this is the begining of the end for my suit?
(I have this voucher i won which i was gpoing to sell, but will i need it myself now???)
Cheers, Lindsey

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
I might be wrong but im sure i read somewhere that otter give lifetime warrenty on the seams???? Might be worth giving them a ring and finding out. If they quiery why the black witch just explain you needed quick fix so wouldnt miss a dive, at least thats what id try.

·
Going down on twins
533 Posts
I'd agree with sending the suit back in for pressure testing.

I'd also have a look at the suit inflation valve, I spent a few dives getting wet, never finding the leak only to realise the there was a slight leak around the rubber pad at the base of the valve. The leak was running all the way down my chest and collecting in the crotch which was a wonderful experience on a cold winters morning in Dorothea.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Hi all,
Having got wet from chest to crotch(!) on my last few dives
I new Diving was exciting but COME ON !!!!

Linsay said:
I suspected a leak & inspected inside...around the crotch (at "crossroads" where 4 seams meet) the membrane was a little puckered.
I applied black witch & seemed to be much drier (but not bone dry as previously).
The suit is a 6 yr old otter cordura. Last year they recommended new boots when it was in for a new zip as it was "good for a long time yet", so i'm a bit miffed it now seems to be wearing out less than a year later.
So, does anyone know if this is the begining of the end for my suit?
(I have this voucher i won which i was gpoing to sell, but will i need it myself now???)
Cheers, Lindsey
Well you say 'wearing out a year later', but strictly if it don't leak at time of testing they don't fix it so its really 6 year. You could ask how much to fix leaks or just slap a large round patch over the 'intersection of the four panels', on the inside, of the suit.

Perhaps less abrasive knickers too??

Yes I know reaching for my coat......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts