YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Mark mentions on another thread on this board that he and several others saw a puffer fish on the Spaniard while in Weymouth. I just wonder if this is just a rare sighting in UK waters or is in fact unique. Has anybody else seen one, or do you know of previous sightings?

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I was there, apparently they come in to lay eggsand then hang around to guard them, or so the skipper on the boat said. It was, I have to say, quite a bizzare moment, also very frustrating as I had me flipping camera turned off

Andrew

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Still at least you didnt waste any film (I know its, digital), first rule of photograhy - turn the bloody camera on, bet you dont forgrt next time. Bad luck.
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I presume they are carried up with the Gulf  Stream from the Caribbean, or is it from the Med? Does anybody know?

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

As a side note, I am not convinced the fish was actually all that well, it certainly had an awful lot of parasites on it and did not seem to swim all that well. I have to say though Puffer fish always seem to be a bit awkward in the water - for a fish that is.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey John,

You were on the phone to Allison at St Abbs yesterday checking out details for your trip in September - miself and the Lesser Spotted Willo were stood next to her as she recounted the details you were after.

Willo and I had decided to bin the day.....but you know when the 'urge' comes upon you and you just have to get wet!!! Well Davey and I succumbed to it - big time! Ten minutes later we were donning our webbing and waiting for Billy's boat to come back to harbour so we could go and dive again.

I'll be penning a full Abbs report in the Recent Trip Reports section later today for all to read.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Yep, I've now made a provisonal booking with Farne Diving Centre for the weekend and with Billy in St Abbs from Sunday night to Friday morning (diving Monday-Thursday). I had to postpone the trip by one week as all dive-boats in Seahouses were fully booked for the weekend I'd originally chosen. As soon as I know exactly how many we'll be, I'll book the ferry to Newcastle and confirm the bookings in Seahouses and St Abbs. I look forward to reading your report, Bren.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have been informed it was a Lumpsucker fish.

Andrew check this out:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/lumpsucker.html

I think this is what we saw and it is found in British waters

It was looking a bit sad but so woul I if I lived on the Spanyard

It is definatly the most unusual fish I have ever seen in UK waters.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Now that's a completyely different (kettle of)  fish!
I imagine the lumpsucker is fairly common in British waters, as it is this side of the North Sea. You should see the male in mating dress. He's a gorgeous bright red. The roe is used to make a kind of caviar. It's very tasty, much nicer than real caviar, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I hope you don't torment them to make them blow themselves up, Michael. I once did and it turned on me, leaving me with a broken finger and cut that required 6 stitches. Serves me right for being so stupid! You have been warned. I learned my lesson - "Look, don't touch!"

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

In addition to the damage that they can do you, they can also overexpand themselves if tormented too much, or taken out of the sea and then can't deflate again.  They die after this.  Not really worth it for 10 seconds of interest, is it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts