YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Does anyone on here have any experience with Puffin Divers? I've just come back from a trip on Excel (managed to get out to The Brothers, but the viz was shocking) and, unfortunately, they had 12 of the 20 places. Made for a v "interesting" trip!!!

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>On the handbag net there is a whole soap opera regarding Puffin divers. I'll take this with a inch of salt and hopefully someone here can give you first hand information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Imported post

Be careful. Puffin apparently monitor the various UK forums and have allegedly threatened legal action against people whose postings they consider to be libelous.

This may or may not speak volumes...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Mar. 09 2004,10:13)]On the handbag net there is a whole soap opera regarding Puffin divers. I'll take this with a inch of salt and hopefully someone here can give you first hand information.
I've just read the stuff on h'bag net. I won't comment on the content, but I was on that trip.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Mar. 09 2004,08:58)]Does anyone on here have any experience with Puffin Divers?
I have to admit, I've dived there a couple of times with a group of people, and never had any issues. Generally a good bunch. Went out on the Nostromo II with Baz Morgan (Mike's Son) in a group of 8 and had a thoroughly good 3 days diving.

However, I was unfortunate enough to witness someone catch the rough end of Mike Morgan's temper. He was nice enough to me, though!

What's Handbag Net, by the way?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bantam @ Mar. 09 2004,11:26)]However, I was unfortunate enough to witness someone catch the rough end of Mike Morgan's temper. He was nice enough to me, though!
In fairness, he was fine with me too. I had a head injury on the boat and he was v helpful. Others, however, including the dive guide came off worse - very publically too.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Mar. 09 2004,11:33)]Others, however, including the dive guide came off worse - very publically too.
What sad is that that is the main impression people will get when they leave Puffin.

It's a very slick operation with very good facilities, but most people's memory will be some big beardy bellowing at someone because they were stood in his way, which is a shame.

He's actually creating his own bad reputation, and the other dive operators who do the area are cashing in on his own hot-headedness.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I've visited their shop previously for fills a few times, and found them civil enough.  I have however read and heard a number of adverse reports about the "alledged" attitude of certain member of their staff, already mentioned.  
These seem to result in slanging matches between Puffin and local divers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bantam @ Mar. 09 2004,12:07)]It's a very slick operation with very good facilities, but most people's memory will be some big beardy bellowing at someone because they were stood in his way, which is a shame.
Well..... imagine having shared a boat with him and his crew for a week!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imported post

Dived with Puffin a few times, always been ok with me.  

It's a professional outfit and run to a tight schedule (out at a set time and back for a set time) - not everybodies cup of tea, but they must be doing something right for some people or they wouldn't still be in business!

Happy safe diving, whoever it's with.  

Liz  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Hmmm.... well if  Puffin do scour the various forums for malcontents then threaten them with libel action (as suggested above)  perhaps they need to review their PR strategy...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Greetings,

I had the misfortune to spend 2 days in the company of Mr Morgan a few years ago.  They were my first and will be my last, couldn't get away fast enough.  I was up there with a view to taking up an offer of employment;  I am glad I didn't.  He spent the entire time blowing his own trumpet.  It was Very tiresome.  In my opinion they were a very odd bunch.  They never seemed to smile, were devoid of humour and the whole place had a palpably oppressive and unhappy air which I thought fairly unusual, not to say rare in our sport!

The cause of all problems, according to a local who shall remain nameless but who used to work as an HSE Pt1 up there, is way tooooooo many fast ascents, a monsterous ego and a passive/agressive personality dominating the entire set-up.  That is of course that persons private opinion,  I couldn't possibly comment sufficed to say that I can vouch for points 2 & 3.

Of added import is the idea that persons of that ilk should seek employment in areas where they do not come into contact with members of the public and thereby give folks a bad impression of our sport and more importantly of Scotland. This would no doubt alleviate the opprobrium ( justified or not) which they're percieved behaviour brings down apon their heads and avoid entirely recourse to the courts to defend a reputation that is regularly savaged in the public domain.

However, I was impressed with their set-up. Top drawer, great boats and a fantastic site.  They just need to work on their social/customer skills.   6.5/10

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Puffin Divers?

Should take a breather or get fitter - that's my recommendation.

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

From my own experience in September last year when we called in over lunch, they are an odd lot.

The staff seemed scared of their own shadows and all looked like they were 12 years old (God, I sound like a right old fart now!).

Perhaps they were 12 year old Master Instructors - now there's a thought!

Nick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norbert @ Mar. 09 2004,15:47)]From my own experience in September last year when we called in over lunch, they are an odd lot.

The staff seemed scared of their own shadows and all looked like they were 12 years old (God, I sound like a right old fart now!).

Perhaps they were 12 year old Master Instructors - now there's a thought!

Nick
well, well..... hello norbert. unusual to see you here!

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gary Jeffries @ Mar. 09 2004,15:57)]well, well..... hello norbert. unusual to see you here!
Well, I do like to get around and the posts on here are so much more sensible and helpful than "that other place" (and no, not that forum - the other one!).

It seems like a good pot of knowledge to tap into IMO.

Nick

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

well, I think we are being a trifle harsh as I think said person is a sound judge of people. A couple of years back two of my mates were labelled as a "vagrant" and an "animal".

Knowing the characters involved he was not far wide off the mark.....  

Simon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

dived and stayed ar puffin several times, sometimes using their boats, sometimes taking our own ribs....on one occasion one of their staff dropped and severely damaged my kit....they were very apologetic ,lent me kit ,got mine repaired....no probs:)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts