YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a different diving forum that i occasionally visit the question has come up about wether it is better to wear your mask over or under your hood. At least one poster has vehemently come out in favour of 'under' on the grounds that you cannot lose it from there. What does the YD massive think ?

On a related question. Most techie courses that i read about tend to have certain sections where the instructor will rip the mask from the student and expect them to get on with it. What would they do if the student was wearing the mask under the hood ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know people that wear it under their hood, and it makes sense, so thoguht id try it out. Only problem i found is air getting in and under my hood and ballooing up and making it uncomfetable, where as when the mask strap was on the outside the strap prevented this!

Chris Middleton
aka student guy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Outside the hood for me ........ all six straps. Not to mention having the mask skirt over the hood .........

:)

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
I'm not aware of any agencies that let people rip masks off their hoods. In TDI you are asked politely for it. In GUE the implant sends a shock to your forehead that displaces the mask. In PADI they send you a letter asking if you'd like to renew your annual mask storage subsidy before asking you to post the mask to them. In BSAC they hand you an electric razor on the assumption that somewhere underneath all that, there is a mask.

However, in seriousness, I can't remember anyone actually ripping a mask off my face, or have ever seen in done on a course. the most disturbing was I've seen it done was Andy Kerslake who would literally put a finger on your mask and tap it from above whilst hovering above you, and you had no idea how he managed to get there as he was somewhere else when you looked a second ago. very bizarre.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
On a related question. Most techie courses that i read about tend to have certain sections where the instructor will rip the mask from the student and expect them to get on with it.
Are there any that actually do this or is it all machismo in the story telling?.

On the courses I've done three methods have been employed and briefed in advance. One is that the instructor places his hand in front of your mask then a second or so later gently lifts the mask off, two was to place his hands in front of the mask requiring you to shut your eyes, third was to ask you to take your mask off yourself.

Mal

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I would say definitely over the hood, for many reasons all of which have been said above... but certainly unless your hood is extremely well fitting it will "balloon" and the mask stops that, also, how do you adjust it if it slips underwater?? Take off your hood?? I dont know about you lot but I'd rather not thank you...

lol

B x

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Are there any that actually do this or is it all machismo in the story telling?.

On the courses I've done three methods have been employed and briefed in advance. One is that the instructor places his hand in front of your mask then a second or so later gently lifts the mask off, two was to place his hands in front of the mask requiring you to shut your eyes, third was to ask you to take your mask off yourself.

Mal
Ditto, never had my mask removed by the instructor. Had it asked for many times :) or should that be :( in 3-4 degrees water?

·
An Old "New Member"
115 Posts
I know people that wear it under their hood, and it makes sense, so thoguht id try it out. Only problem i found is air getting in and under my hood and ballooing up and making it uncomfetable, where as when the mask strap was on the outside the strap prevented this!

Chris Middleton
aka student guy
I made a hole in the top of my hood to release the trapped air but made a mess of it so i have fitted a spare cuff dump in it that works ok.

Otherwise avoid breathing out of your nose.

When its cold i find my hood fits better less of a gap at the top so i dont get the cold shock as bad if the mask is under the hood.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I wear mine over the hood and over the years I've had it kicked askew a few times requiring a refit but I've never actually lost it. As I instruct as well under the hood wouldn't work for me.

I imagine if you wear one of those novelty hoods it may be an option though.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
An Old "New Member"
115 Posts
I have had mine knocked off and my DV. knocked out at the same time. Its not fun feeling around in the muck for your mask.

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
I wear mine under the hood. That way, i can never lose it and it only becomes dislodged if someone knocks it. I usually put my hood on and pull it down my neck....get kitted up, stick mask on, then pull hood up and jump in. if i get hot on a dive, which does happen sometimes, i just pull the hood down around my neck again, and carry on......

I also carry a spare in my pocket just in case....

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
I prefer the mask strap under my hood with the strap adjusting tabs outside the hood. Never had any issues with trapped air in the hood.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Most techie courses that i read about tend to have certain sections where the instructor will rip the mask from the student and expect them to get on with it.
Grief...

I've had enough points there the instructor puts out his hand and I hand the mask over but if he ripped it off and there was an incident the HSE would nail his tanned hide to the wall as a warning to those who might think of doing it ever again.

I wear the strap on the outside. I broke a strap once and it didn't go far but I have another one in my pocket.

Thinking about it: If it did get thumped enough to move it the hood wont stop it moving but it might stop you reseating the mask if the strap is now twisted over your head and it might not come off either. I suspect the 'fix' solves simple problems but makes bad ones worse. I can handle a mask with gloves on but I couldn't manage the hood without pulling it right down round my neck which is a pig in gloves.

·
Registered
759 Posts
When its cold i find my hood fits better less of a gap at the top so i dont get the cold shock as bad if the mask is under the hood.
My hood ballons and i don't breath out of my nose, as far as i know :teeth:

Following a hard boat trip from Conwy, North Wales where i was very close to loosing my mask and one person did, and it was a prescription one, i went for the Mask Connection System that is available from Timuna Sea
Out of interest roughly how much was it? and is it comfortable? thanks
but if he ripped it off and there was an incident the HSE would nail his tanned hide to the wall as a warning to those who might think of doing it ever again.

Yes totally agree

Reactions: 861-218

·
Registered
559 Posts
In winter, I wear 2 hoods, one well cut back so I don't get jaw ache from it being too tight.
Have the mask-------neoprene only strap-------- between the hoods.

Jobs a gud'n :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Out of interest roughly how much was it? and is it comfortable? thanks
Very Comfortable, as long as you posistion it right which is just slight higher and behind then the top of the ear. You hood then acts like the mask strap. I paid £14.99 plus p&p 4 years ago and looking at the website they are now £15.99.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Mine goes underneath for the retention reasons already mentioned. To prevent the ballooning of the hood all you have to do is put a hole in the top of it. It does have the comic effect of bubbles occasionally popping up from the middle of your head but does ensure you don't lose your mask.

As for repositioning - well most of the time it doesn't get displaced in the first place, but if the worst does happen it's very easy to take the mask off and pull the strap out from under the hood without pulling the hood off and then the mask can be put back on over the hood.

I still carry a spare mask just in case my main one gets damaged.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very Comfortable, as long as you posistion it right which is just slight higher and behind then the top of the ear. You hood then acts like the mask strap. I paid £14.99 plus p&p 4 years ago and looking at the website they are now £15.99.
hhmm, i dont usually wear hoods, a few weeks hope fully be out of hoods, may get one for later in the year though, thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts