YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

An excellent diving mate was the victim of an unprovoked stabbing !! abroad at the weekend. He was stabbed in the back (top left), resulting in a lung puncture. The little info we have so far seems to indicate no vital organs etc were affected and he's in hospital. Will he be able to dive again??

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

If there is no lasting weakness then almost certainly yes. I had something similiar years ago when a welding rod punctured one of my lungs (don't ask
)
 There is a big difference between a spontaneous and a traumatic pneumothorax although he will probably find he will have to be referred every medical from now on as he will have ticked one of the "dodgy" boxes

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

That's reassuring. I was concerned that a lung would heal sufficiently for 1 bar type conditions, but that the inevitable slight overpressure when diving may be too much. Mind you I have no idea what forces are generated/sustained during a strong sneeze, blowing ballons etc!

Anyway, thanks for the reassurance. My friend "lives to dive" and would go completely mad if he wasn't able to continue.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Sorry, gloom and doom.

One of my students punctured a lung as the result of an assault, she is on a 3 year dive ban. Hope this isn't the case for your mate but be prepared.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

3 YEARS!!!

We should hear from the doctors over the next two weeks. I'll let you know what they reckon, but original estimates were more like 6-7 months.

3 years would drive my mate round the bend ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts