YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Who are these stupid people, lifeboat crews are volunteers and this sort of thing is putting brave people at risk.

"One caller behind lifeboat hoaxes

A lifeboat was sent in gale conditions to the latest hoax call  
A series of hoax calls which are risking the lives of lifeboat crews could be the work of one man, according to coastguards. The latest call saw the Llandudno lifeboat battle through gale-force winds and high waves looking for a non-existent fishing boat on Saturday night.

It is thought to be at least the fourth time the man has called in the last six weeks.

Coastguards say that the caller is using maritime knowledge to endanger lives of both lifeboat teams and the public, and have vowed to catch him.

Carl Hilton, Holyhead Coastguard Watch Manager, said they were confident it was the same person making all the calls.

"We have played the tapes back - it is the same accent and this guy has a marine knowledge," he said.

They could be diverted to this non-existent incident when there could be a genuine incident going on somewhere else

Carl Hilton, Holyhead Coastguard  

"His radio procedures are very good which is convincing.

"He seems to be targetting the same area north of Llandudno and Rhyl.

"We will catch this man eventually. Repeated offenders do make mistakes eventually and this guy will be caught sooner or later."

Mr Hilton added that the hoaxes could mean crews are not able to deal with real emergencies.

"They could be diverted to this non-existent incident when there could be a genuine incident going on somewhere else."

He also said that the time of the last call - on a Saturday night before Christmas made the situation worse for the crews, who were "very very annoyed" by the hoaxes.

"They do not mind going out to genuine incidents no matter what time of day or night, but it is very annoying for them."

The bogus calls received by coastguards are similar to those made to the other emergency services in north Wales - who have collectively more than 2,600 bogus callouts in the past 12 months.

Hoaxers prosecuted

On Saturday night Holyhead coastguard received a 999 call from someone alleging a 32ft fishing boat called Caprice had engine problems and was floating in a dangerous position off the coast of Conwy.

Keith Charlton was a member of the six man crew sent out on the hoax emergency call..

He said all of the crew's lives were put at risk by the hoax.

A spokesman for North Wales Police said they would "rigorously prosecute" hoaxers and work in with British Telecom and CCTV operators to identify them.

On 8 December, a mayday call said a crewman was injured on a fishing vessel Brecon off Prestatyn, the day after another call reported that the Santa Monica had engine failure off Great Orme.

On 20 November, a mayday from a boat claiming to be called Blue Phoenix said it was stranded two miles off Rhyl."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The problem as ever, if and when they catch them they get away with it or do a few hours of so called community service...
On this point I'm a " Flog em" & "Hang em" supporter..

TOG Diver

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Hopefully they will set him adrift in a storm.

Maybe its the same as the guy who set all the fires in the SOuth of France, someone who failed the selection criteria for the fire service, show the selection criteria works at least. It would be worrying of this guys turns out to be a disgruntled RNLI candidate.

·
Rubber Boy
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>the idiot should be named and shamed in public
then cut out his tongue so he cant do it again

it worked in the old days!

failing that he should be taken to court on an atempted multiple murder charge

bring back hanging !!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Imported post

when they catch him, he should be made to pay out the cost`s to send the boat out every time an wasting peoples time.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>just tie the twat to the bow next time the boat is launched. that should wash the sh** out of him.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I fully agree with Col.maniac.

He's costing the RNLI dearly and should pay for their costs even before he's punished properly.

Community service could be to wash every lifeboat in the UK, then be keel-hauled.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>My other half is in the Boulmer (as in the chopper that comes and gets you when you get bent on the farnes), coastguard team, and has had a few callouts.  I tell you if they ever find out who is doing that, if the lads down there have the same passion as the ones up here, he will have 2 fewer kneecaps than he does at the moment.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

the only thing that people like this deserve is to have there fingers broken with a lump hammer!! what this tw*t obviously doesnt understand is that these guys risk there lives for us divers when we get into difficulty so whilst chasing hoax calls that this duck egg rings in, someones life really could be lost !!! this type of thing makes mi blood boil this c*nt wants locking away or someone giving him a good shoeing what an idiot!!!

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>i just read in the paper that RNLI crews are to get cameras in their helmets to record what happens on jobs.  The footage will be sold to make money for the service.

Now most of you wont be aware, but in many places there isnt a hugely good relationship between the Coastguard and the RNLI.  They seem to get the glory, the publicity and the public support out of every incident.  For instance, if there is a sea-cliff rescue, it is the Coastguard who will carry this out, not the RNLI.  But if the boat was there to provide backup, it will be the "brave lifeboat crews" who get the mention in the paper.

Im not slagging the RNLI, dont get me wrong, it isnt their fault.  But it is the coastguard who call them out, not the other way around.

Lets spare a thought for the Coastguard crews who get called out every time we have a problem, a child goes missing on the beach or a boat is in trouble.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lets spare a thought for the Coastguard crews who get called out every time we have a problem, a child goes missing on the beach or a boat is in trouble.
what a great point porg i absolutely agree

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Dec. 23 2003,21:25)]Im not slagging the RNLI, dont get me wrong, it isnt their fault.  But it is the coastguard who call them out, not the other way around.

Lets spare a thought for the Coastguard crews who get called out every time we have a problem, a child goes missing on the beach or a boat is in trouble.
<font color='#0000FF'>The Lifeboat crews are volunteers and I would have thought the coastguard are paid employees.

Don't get me wrong anyone who puts their life on the line for others has my full support.

I tried to drum up some extra membership for the RNLI a few months ago, lets hope some of you that said you were going to join did so.

Come on lets have another push for extra RNLI members.

Fiona

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Dec. 24 2003,10:29)]Come on lets have another push for extra RNLI members.

Fiona
No excuses here’s the link

Join now

Cheers
Bob

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Dec. 24 2003,10:29)]The Lifeboat crews are volunteers and I would have thought the coastguard are paid employees.
<font color='#000080'>if i'm remembering correctly i think coastgard wages are such that it's practically volunteering. people do it as well as another job.

not arguing just clarifying a point!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts