YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've been asked to find out some info for a colleague's partner.
A terrestial archeologist is looking to get into underwater archaeology (professionally, not recreationally).

I'm assuming that this will require HSE certification as it is 'work'. Anyone any info on how much this would cost and where it could be done? AIUI since the closure of Fort William there's no commercial training facilities, are there other sources of HSE training?

Cheers
steve

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>about 1000 pounds for HSE part ? (the lowest one)

i think. i'm sure other people know a lot more!

and doesn't the closure of fort william just mean no hard hat, not no commercial training altogether?

again, don't really know much about it

i'd advise him to call the HSE

·
Registered
109 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

Is your friend also on Tyneside? I'm an underwater archaeologyst, strangly enough on Tyneside. If your friend wants to e-mail me, I'd be happy to answer his/ her questions. But in short, you need CMAS 3* or equivalent ie PADI Divemaster etc.

Lawrence

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

You could have a look at the Nautical Archaeological Society. Could be an alternative route to training, and seeing if it what they think it is. Training starts at CMAS 1*.

At least he/she should be well aware that the 'dig' is only a fraction of the work, and that diving, being what it is, will mean that they spend much less time on site.

Seeing as most archaeology is now done on threatened sites, there wont be many jobs. The recent Mary Rose dig was a small 'pro' effort in comparison to the one we all know of.

I daresay Lawrence has some opinions re NAS, they seem to be pro, but heavily supported by amateurs.

Adrian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Steve,

What ya mate needs to do is a HSE SCUBA course or do the HSE INSHORE DIVER,,,,,,There is no such grade no more as HSE Part **** whatever , just been re named and old grade sticks from when you did the course.

The is a outfit up your way that trains people in HSE, can't think of their name , but use the wording as REDS on letterheads,,,,,,,, I'll dig out some up 2 date info in the morning for ya ( after i've done another commie dive ) ......

Andy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Imported post

For a none diver HSE will probably be the quickest route. There is a course called (something like) HSE Scientific and Media Diver. I don't know how it differs from HSE Scuba.
I think the commercial training centre in the NE is in Midlesborough (can't remember the name either).

NAS do provude good training, but it is aimed at people with no training or particular archaeological background- they wont let you skip bits you've done elsewhere. No such thing as a SALT with NAS. But I'd recomend any wreck diver do one or more of their cources. Not only would this enhance your diving, but improve our (diver's) public image next time there's some public debate about diving on historic wrecks/ war graves etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.