YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK, so we've all got one aspect of diving that, no matter how many times we've donned our webbing and got wet, stilll gives us 'the pip' (techie term).

Whether it's firing up your DSMB and holding station on your buoyancy, or looking like a submerged Halfords with 10 tons of kit dangling from your BC/Harness & D-rings - which can often affect your trim/buoyancy also.

So, what is/are yours and why??? And, importantly, what do you plan to do to either fix it, or live with it?? Remember, the answers you give may very well help a fellow diver in that they might have the same problem or similar.

I'll start off - one of my biggest pains in the 'arris is fin-straps snapping just as you're at the water's edge (as happened recently at Hodge) and about to get in the water - or, as happened at Hodge also, the receiving clip on my fin sheared in two and made the fin - for want of a new clip - useless.

So what do I intend to do about it?? Get a new pair of fins and some stainless steel spring wraps for ease of deployment (getting on and off) and greater reliability.

So what's yours?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I actually carry a spare fin strap in my suit pocket, with buckles et al - if a strap breaks, I can replace it on the spot. But that's only until I can get springs instead

Minor irritants... how can we single out just one? There's HUNDREDS of niggles!

How about.. fumbling on computers, D-timers, compasses and the like when all gloved up. To be solved by attaching them to a wrist slate held on by bungee - 100% fumble free!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Ah yes, compass strap on my Suunto compass.  Cunningly designed to never come completely undone which is great in the wetsuit - and apparently too small to fit over my drysuit.  Just fab, guys.  So some bungee calls there, methinks.

Unclipping piston clips - aaargh!  More fumbling than is necessary when you can't see the D-ring it is clipped to.  The only answer I can think of there is practise, unless I go to a "suicide" clip.

And loads more....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The worst one I've experienced is arriving at the dive site and finding the o-ring on  my reg (DIN fitting) was damaged. It had been OK when checked before leaving the dive centre. So I had to sit in the boat while my mates dived. Very frustrating! However, it will never happen again, because I now have one of those miniature dive-cylinder-type water-tight containers with two spare o-rings on a D-ring on my BC. I recommend it.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Bren,

On the fin-strap snapping thang ... always carry some bungy with you. If a fin-strap goes or a mask strap you can quickly improvise a strap and bingo you're off. Same goes for computer straps, emergency jon-line etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts