YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>just to high light the day

Qu. For years now, divers have been seen wearing a RED wooly hats, it starts way back in the old copper hatted diver days.

Can anyone tell me why ?

<< ps , i know exactly why >> Answer given out at 18:00 tonight

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Because they suported Man United?

I know the answer but I wont spoil it by telling.  Did you ever notice that JCaustou was always wearing a red wooly hat?

ATB

Mark Chase

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>so they could put on a yellow woolly hat if there was an emergency?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Imported post

Well, I don't know and I won't be here at 18:00 your time...so I will guess....

The hat is to stop sweat running into your eyes or even to be used to wipe the face plate. Why it is red is a mystery....unless that was the only colour that didn't run in salt water.

Model T Fords were only painted black because the paint dried faster!

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know the answer but I wont spoil it by telling.  Did you ever notice that JCaustou was always wearing a red wooly hat?
Coz i told you the other day   Mark...... and mr JC was just a fashion statement , after he found out about the HAT

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>guess........

Copper reacts with water and turns green, this green residue shows up best on red, high lighting small leaks?

Juz

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

Old Suffolk saying when I was a boy: 'Red hat, no drawers.' Usually applied to loose women rather than divers, though

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Mar. 02 2004,12:16)]so they could put on a yellow woolly hat if there was an emergency?

Very close

Mark Chase

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Mar. 02 2004,14:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Mar. 02 2004,12:16)]so they could put on a yellow woolly hat if there was an emergency?

Very close

Mark Chase
so what if they had a half red and half yellow one?

i thought Red was popular becuase Jacques Cousteau wore one ,but it was always grey on our black'n'white telly.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>NICK,

There is only ONE real answer, and thats why RN Divers were issued the hats on the first day of training , The other reason that you may tell me , didn't really come into affect until mid 60's

Andy

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>is it anything like the reason gun decks on warships had red painted floors & walls (to hide the blood?)

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Mar. 02 2004,15:04)]NICK,

There is only ONE real answer, and thats why RN Divers were issued the hats on the first day of training , The other reason that you may tell me , didn't really come into affect until mid 60's

Andy
I think I know the two answers he's talking about (I did a google search - sad or what) and both of those would considerably pre-date the 60s I think.

But then again I may be wrong

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>ANSWER

Old divers were kitted up by 'tenders' , then once the chest plate was placed and laced on, the RED WOOLY hat was donned. While he was sat on his stool waiting to dive, the HAT signalled DANGER,,, as in don't go near him or just be CAREFUL.

This came about when the loss of 2 RN divers were waiting to dive near the edge of a ship, and whilst not HATTED, they were both knocked by a tripping tender , which sent them over the side and drowned.

Back in the early 60's a few ex RN divers when the rigs were crying out for divers , this tradition carried over, but the RED HAT was also used inside the helmet for warmth , and forgotten to be taken off after the dive, until it was rumoured that the HAT was worn to show , that you was a diver still off gassing , and once cleared you took the hat off........ RED HAT was watch me in case i fall over with the bends .

ROUND 2 Tomorrow .

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Mar. 02 2004,15:04)]The other reason that you may tell me , didn't really come into affect until mid 60's
Well, I knew the "red hat for unable to move (much) diver" answer but the other one I have heard was that red is the sign of a convict in France and that they used convicts to test the early diving systems. That was a little before the 60s though so I don't know what the other answer is.

I bow to your superior RN knowledge though. I didn't know the red hat had come from there originally  

Now, anyone up for using the prison population to generate better bend algorithms?  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

very interesting Andy, you really are a wealth of useful information!
so nothing to do with jack custard then?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts