YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Is it practical/feasible/useable to carry stage cylinders on a Tekwing or do I need to reopen negotiations with my boss before moving to the next stage?

Cheers all

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Richie
I'm assuming you have a Tekwing with the ABS backplate, and twins, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I guess it's all about lift, and whether 22.5 KGs is sufficient for twins + stages.
Adding a s/s backplate may help as long as you have sufficient d-rings to hold the stages. I suspect you could use the Tekwing's side d-rings and then simpy ensure you have d-rings in the correct place on your harness to allow you to carry these comfortably, but as I said, you might want to check the Tekwing's 22.5 KGs is sufficient.
HTH
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

I use my tekwing with twin steel 15's and twin steel 7's. I converted it with a stell backplate, twinning bands and haness. I did use twin 12's and a single steel 7 with the original harness/backplate but found it uncomfortable and a bit 'hanging on by a thread' kind of feeling. I use my drysuit as primary buoyancy, and it's not a prob. Without the sidemounts, I'd just have the equivalent amount of lead on so I don't see a difference. I can surface fairly rapid with just the wing when I need to, mind you I wear a neoprene suit which helps.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks all, does anyone have  a Tekwing that they want to sell ??

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Q for others who use a Tekwing with steel plate: Do you find that the plate, being wider at the top than the Buddy one, means you loose a small amount of lift, or is it just me?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

Not quite sure what u mean? The plate is wider at the top and so impinges a bit on the inner edge of the wing. I Just mount the plate lower on the wing, or the other way round if you catch my drift. I've never realy had to fully inflate my wing anyway, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I haven't had any real problems with my combro plate, but it's not the widest plate out there. I presume your on one of them though?

I find that the only restriction is between the top of the plate and the 1st stages. The valves on the top can get a bit squashed if you're fully inflating the thing, but that doesn't make a noticable difference to lift, does it? It's only a tiny squeeze at the top.

Other option is to put your bolts through a lower hole on the plate, but then your tanks are going to be lower, and you may have problems reaching valves.

I think it may be that the holes on your wing (which you'll have done yourself) may need moving slightly, in which case the wing will be higher up. Only suggestion I've got if its really troubling you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts