YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

When you buy a £350 set of Scubapro regs(poss mk20, r380 can't remember, too late), but anyway you get the drift. Are these automatically cold-water regs. As a friend(Dee) is diving with these thinking that they are cold-water rated regs but I read somewhere that they might not be. Can this be cleared up for me? Does she need to get them enviro sealed? How would I be able to look at them and tell if they are or not sealed?

Thanks people
Peter

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Peter
They are sealed already, and they rely on the 'warmth' of the surrounding water to 'heat' the air from the cylinder so preventing a free flow. It works according to the magazines, Andy Hayhurst swears by them. So a good call, me I can only afford Apex.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

Have used Mk20 & 380 second stage for a dozen dives this year in water temps as low as minus 4 for average time of 23 minutes at 17m did not feel that the Regs where likley to give any problem still had a good positive breath off them.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Both the wife and I use MK20/R380 regs.  No problem, even in Stoney in mid winter and 3 deg water.

The MK20 in not a 'sealed' type first stage but actually needs water flushing through it to keep it working.  If its an official UK supplied reg it will have T.I.S stamped on the side of the first stage.  This means it has had the cold water kit fitted as standard.  According to the Scubapro web site 'Grey Imports' dont have it as standard.  Dont know if its true or just Scubapro scaremungering.

Very happy with my reg and will probably get another Scubapro if and when I ever change.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Thanks people

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts