1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question for you

If you were going to book on a dive boat and only two are available

Say boat A and B

both are exactly the same and are going to the same dive site in fact they could be twins the only difference is Boat A has had 4 people airlifted from his boat to the pot and boat B hasn't had anyone lifted
EDIT

you don't know either of them the divers were potted by the chamber and the skipper never ran them over or pulled them out

who would you book with and why?

2nd EDIT you spoke to them both and was equally impressed by them but they both wouldn't talk about incidents to keep the confidentiality of the divers

Graham

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I think you should book with boat B because there is no way on earth a chopper will lift you:teeth:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
....the only diffrence is Boat A has had 4 people airlifted from his boat to the pot ...
Do you know the reasons why they were airlifted as I would have thought that had little to do with the skipper unless he was hauling them out on their stops? :)

Or was the skipper being over cautious and calling the budgies when he thought there was something wrong (when there wasn't).

Or do the numpties (joke) book on his that boat...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I would book with the skipper I knew and trusted best. I wouldn't use chopper stats to decide. After all - the one with the most chopper rides could be the most safety conscious skipper who doesn't let people bluff their way through denial, he could be unlucky or he could be a factor - who knows?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
If I believed the airlifted divers made their own mistakes and that the skipper handled the evac effectively, then I would consider him 'tested' and would feel comfortable with that. If there was any indication that the events arose from, or were added to, by the skippers poor judgement or actions then I would never dive with him again.

Juz

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK

seriously what would you book with

Graham

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would book with the skipper I knew and trusted best. I wouldn't use chopper stats to decide. After all - the one with the most chopper rides could be the most safety conscious skipper who doesn't let people bluff their way through denial, he could be unlucky or he could be a factor - who knows?
you dont know either of them they are two new boats and you have to book on one

Graham

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know the reasons why they were airlifted as I would have thought that had little to do with the skipper unless he was hauling them out on their stops? :)

Or was the skipper being over cautious and calling the budgies when he thought there was something wrong (when there wasn't).

Or do the numpties (joke) book on his that boat...
you just know that the divers were all potted for DCI

Graham

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Ok, don't know either, have no info or reports on either, then the one without the chopper rides, even though I know the chances of the skipper being anywhere near involved witht he need for choppers is practically zero....just a karma thing..why tempt fate?

I suppose it depends on the dive too. If it were a "big" dive I wouldn't book either if I didn't know anything about them.

G

·
if they are exactly the same then either, as the chances are the reason behind the free ride home has nothing to do with the skipper

you could say boat A as at least they're not afraid to call the coastguard when it appears all is not well

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
you dont know either of them they are two new boats and you have to book on one

Graham
I'd call them on the phone and have a chat with them. I think you can get a pretty good feel for people that way if you have no other option.

Whichever I chose, I would be looking at their boat, briefing and manner for clues until I was comfortable.

Juz

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Gut feeling boat A, Sounds a safety conscious guy as stated unless he yanked them up from stops

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd call them on the phone and have a chat with them. I think you can get a pretty good feel for people that way if you have no other option.

Whichever I chose, I would be looking at their boat, briefing and manner for clues until I was comfortable.

Juz
mainpost edited and in answer to this you called them both and they both sounded as good as the other, however both have declined to talk about lifts and accidents due to they want to respect the diver involved and you have to book one

Graham

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Is boat A called Seeker?

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
[stirring mode] ahhh, so now you punish a skipper for not having an incident? ;) [/stirring mode]
So thats where my big spoon went

1 - 20 of 53 Posts