YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a question for you

If you were going to book on a dive boat and only two are available

Say boat A and B

both are exactly the same and are going to the same dive site in fact they could be twins the only difference is Boat A has had 4 people airlifted from his boat to the pot and boat B hasn't had anyone lifted
EDIT

you don't know either of them the divers were potted by the chamber and the skipper never ran them over or pulled them out

who would you book with and why?

2nd EDIT you spoke to them both and was equally impressed by them but they both wouldn't talk about incidents to keep the confidentiality of the divers

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK

seriously what would you book with

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would book with the skipper I knew and trusted best. I wouldn't use chopper stats to decide. After all - the one with the most chopper rides could be the most safety conscious skipper who doesn't let people bluff their way through denial, he could be unlucky or he could be a factor - who knows?
you dont know either of them they are two new boats and you have to book on one

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you know the reasons why they were airlifted as I would have thought that had little to do with the skipper unless he was hauling them out on their stops? :)

Or was the skipper being over cautious and calling the budgies when he thought there was something wrong (when there wasn't).

Or do the numpties (joke) book on his that boat...
you just know that the divers were all potted for DCI

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd call them on the phone and have a chat with them. I think you can get a pretty good feel for people that way if you have no other option.

Whichever I chose, I would be looking at their boat, briefing and manner for clues until I was comfortable.

Juz
mainpost edited and in answer to this you called them both and they both sounded as good as the other, however both have declined to talk about lifts and accidents due to they want to respect the diver involved and you have to book one

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
there is no seeker on anything just boat A and B

you'd think i was asking for your credit card details? :)

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK

I was talking to a group of skippers over the weekend and some say they would rather they didn't call a chopper because it effects bookings and some of the others said it is good for business as it shows they will call them regardless.

So i thought i would ask the question to see if it effects your judgement but it got dissected first (note to self make things clearer) so it's all hypothetical I'm just curious as to what you think? personally I'd go with the boat with no shouts as it might be luck however i have edited the first post to kill that idea

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That doesn't stop you asking the 'what if' questions.

How much O2 is carried
How often checked
Contingency plan for lift failure
Plan for bringing an unconscious casualty on board etc.

If they are unwilling to answer that type of question then do not dive with them.

Juz
they are the same the skippers are twins they brought the boats at the same time they have the same kit in fact it's like spot the diffrence with none

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So, the question is, would you book a boat that had divers airlifted off it?

Yep, I have done with no problems. It made no difference to me.
but if you had a choice on that day to dive with a boat with no lifts off it would you have gone with who you did?

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have never attributed an airlift or incident to a skipper unless I had specific evidence to suggest their actions contributed.

As such, having had a diver airlifted is more positive than negative for the skipper but I would not penalise a skipper for not having had one either.

Juz

so to you it wouldnt make a diffrence and you'd be happy to book with either

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The replies so far have sort of indicated that the skipper is "detached" as far as lifts are concerned. However they can increase the likihood of potential problems by

- dropping divers in "off slack"
- miss shoting the target - ie long swims into the current to get to target

so whilst the number of lifts wouldn't be deciding factor, it would be something I would consider.
Ooh very good reply hadn't thought of that :)

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If this wasn't such a good natured site, I'd think you were taking the piss there Graham :)
that hurts :)

no i seriously thought it was a good comment and one i havent thought of

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Now let me put the boot on the other foot...

Graham, given the choice

would you book with the more comfortable boat even though the skipper wanted to catch the bridge at 08:00, or the less comfortable boat and have a sleep in?

LOL, Paul

theres no comparison Smudges boat every time

Graham

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
thanks for the reply's it looks like any advertizment is good then as Boat A gets the vote. However i did like Darrens comment on the slack etc something i never thought of

Graham

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.