YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
there is no seeker on anything just boat A and B

you'd think i was asking for your credit card details? :)

Graham

· Banned
58 Posts
IMHO - I would talk to both skippers - find out what happened if poss - if he respects people's situations that would be a plus point for me - and at some point
if you want to dive there you have to make a choice and perhaps it has to be a
gut feel either way. I have done that in the past and it worked out well.
Good luck with your choice I am sure you will make the right one. :teeth:

Cosmo

· Nigel Hewitt
7,123 Posts
Not your boat but....

We hired a boat.
We had some people drop out.
Some others joined us and had good references and all the cards.
One had a problem and blew 27 minutes of stops.
We put him on a helicopter.

Nothing to do with the skipper other than good professional boat handling.
You can't judge a boat on things like that.

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK

I was talking to a group of skippers over the weekend and some say they would rather they didn't call a chopper because it effects bookings and some of the others said it is good for business as it shows they will call them regardless.

So i thought i would ask the question to see if it effects your judgement but it got dissected first (note to self make things clearer) so it's all hypothetical I'm just curious as to what you think? personally I'd go with the boat with no shouts as it might be luck however i have edited the first post to kill that idea

Graham

· Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,235 Posts
you'd think i was asking for your credit card details? :)
But you are asking people to give you a decision and justify it, but without giving enough details to make said decision. Now, as a businessman, you would like some more info or other input before making an 'informed' decision, otherwise it is a guess.

I suppose both of them cost the same and both serve hot chocolate and bacon butties on board too :)

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That doesn't stop you asking the 'what if' questions.

How much O2 is carried
How often checked
Contingency plan for lift failure
Plan for bringing an unconscious casualty on board etc.

If they are unwilling to answer that type of question then do not dive with them.

Juz
they are the same the skippers are twins they brought the boats at the same time they have the same kit in fact it's like spot the diffrence with none

Graham

3,235 Posts
So, the question is, would you book a boat that had divers airlifted off it?

Yep, I have done with no problems. It made no difference to me.

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So, the question is, would you book a boat that had divers airlifted off it?

Yep, I have done with no problems. It made no difference to me.
but if you had a choice on that day to dive with a boat with no lifts off it would you have gone with who you did?

Graham

· Registered
5,637 Posts
I have never attributed an airlift or incident to a skipper unless I had specific evidence to suggest their actions contributed.

As such, having had a diver airlifted is more positive than negative for the skipper but I would not penalise a skipper for not having had one either.

Juz

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have never attributed an airlift or incident to a skipper unless I had specific evidence to suggest their actions contributed.

As such, having had a diver airlifted is more positive than negative for the skipper but I would not penalise a skipper for not having had one either.

Juz

so to you it wouldnt make a diffrence and you'd be happy to book with either

Graham

3,235 Posts
but if you had a choice on that day to dive with a boat with no lifts off it would you have gone with who you did?
If the only difference was lift or no lifts then no problem. In fact I may well think like Dive Buddha (on this occasion ;) )

probably boat A as there will be lots of space to put ya gear on the boats deck :angel:

· Registered
3,080 Posts
Toss a coin - without more information it wouldn't affect my decision in the slightest.

Maybe the skipper sends anyone to the chamber who feels a bit tired after diving, overreacting to the situation, in which case i'd avoid that boat. Conversely, it could be that divers on the other boat also had bend symptoms, but the other skipper wouldn't call the chamber so as to not get his boat in the news.

And as I said, as we don't know why, and it could be either a positive or negative sign, then toss a coin.

David

· Registered
5,222 Posts
Maybe the skipper sends anyone to the chamber who feels a bit tired after diving, overreacting to the situation, in which case i'd avoid that boat. Conversely, it could be that divers on the other boat also had bend symptoms, but the other skipper wouldn't call the chamber so as to not get his boat in the news.
The replies so far have sort of indicated that the skipper is "detached" as far as lifts are concerned. However they can increase the likihood of potential problems by

- dropping divers in "off slack"
- miss shoting the target - ie long swims into the current to get to target

so whilst the number of lifts wouldn't be deciding factor, it would be something I would consider.

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The replies so far have sort of indicated that the skipper is "detached" as far as lifts are concerned. However they can increase the likihood of potential problems by

- dropping divers in "off slack"
- miss shoting the target - ie long swims into the current to get to target

so whilst the number of lifts wouldn't be deciding factor, it would be something I would consider.
Ooh very good reply hadn't thought of that :)

Graham

· I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
I have dived with skippers who have had people airlifted off, and this didn't raise a problem with me at all.

Personally I find it reassuring to know that the skipper is confident in what to do if the sh*t hits the fan.

Now you've got me thinking, maybe boat B isn't lucky at all, he just refuses to call the helicopter as he's worried it would affect his bookings, t*sser :angry:. So boat A would be my choice, I might have more concerns if I didn't know the other people on the boat, there are all sorts of nutters out there making up there own tables shaving time off deco and getting bent. They belong on boat B :D

If I was in this situation, I would research the skippers and look at the type of diving they normally catered for, get recommendations (YD would be great for this, there can't be many boats that one of us hasn't dived on), then look at the boats, I've wasted too many hours pootling back in at 6knots.

· Utrinque Paratus
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If this wasn't such a good natured site, I'd think you were taking the piss there Graham :)
that hurts :)

no i seriously thought it was a good comment and one i havent thought of

Graham

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.