YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm curious as to why you ask if people feel there is a 'health benefit' from Scuba diving. I've always perceived diving as something that requires a level of fitness, rather than something that contributes to it.
I think it will be interesting to see how the various aspects of health compare in that respect - will there be a difference in response for physical health, mental health, wellbeing.

---

In case it was in any way unclear, I will not be selling any data. As specified earlier I might write an article if I get enough responses.

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
I'm curious as to why you ask if people feel there is a 'health benefit' from Scuba diving. I've always perceived diving as something that requires a level of fitness, rather than something that contributes to it.
Personally, once I am in the water and diving there is massive psychological health benefits for me. Work issues, financial issues and other stuff that keeps me awake at night are forgotten as all concentration is on my underwater environment. Please note I did say once I am in the water, as sometimes the whole caboodle of getting to a dive site and kitting up is a pain in the arse but the camaraderie on the boat is good as well.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
In case it was in any way unclear, I will not be selling any data. As specified earlier I might write an article if I get enough responses.
----------------------
My article, by Ruth Stevenson, age 6

I asked some divers some questions
They gave me silly answers.
Divers are silly
The end.
----------------------

Seriously, what can you hope to gain from such a short survey? For a really well put together survey, maybe you should fill this one out - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/divingincidentsurvey
The dataset gathered is going towards PhD work by one of the mods on here, and is aimed directly at diver safety and incident reporting.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
Sean, you're a genius. Go publish.

Reactions: Two Hats

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Once a shark had got you in his teeth all other worldly worries seem so far away as to be, effectively, meaningless.

Surely, that is proof that diving can only have health benefits?

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Once a shark has got you in his teeth then all other worldly worries seem so far away as to be, effectively, meaningless.

Surely, that is proof that diving can only have health benefits for ones mental well being?

·
Certified Dive Addict
568 Posts
Personally, once I am in the water and diving there is massive psychological health benefits for me. Work issues, financial issues and other stuff that keeps me awake at night are forgotten as all concentration is on my underwater environment. Please note I did say once I am in the water, as sometimes the whole caboodle of getting to a dive site and kitting up is a pain in the arse but the camaraderie on the boat is good as well.

Absolutely agree... this is what keeps me diving in the cold, dark UK waters.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts