YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I know radial scrubbers are supposed to be better than the "normal" type, but by what kind of margin.

For example if 2kg of scrubber material gives you a couple of hours of use, would a radial scrubber design give you a longer dive time, or is the design better at "catching" the CO2 molecules, not extending the life of the scrubber (as it can only hold so many CO2 molecules

Has anyone made a radial scrubber for the YBOD?

James.

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (James28 @ Nov. 21 2003,16:00)]I know radial scrubbers are supposed to be better than the "normal" type, but by what kind of margin.

For example if 2kg of scrubber material gives you a couple of hours of use, would a radial scrubber design give you a longer dive time, or is the design better at "catching" the CO2 molecules, not extending the life of the scrubber (as it can only hold so many CO2 molecules

Has anyone made a radial scrubber for the YBOD?

James.
<font color='#8D38C9'>Its about increasing the dwell time by slowing down the gas transport.  You need a certain contact time for the CO2 to be scrubbed effectively.  You can make the scrubber long and thin or short and fat (which is effectively what a radial scrubber is).  The latter has less breathing resistance due to higher cross-sectional area and shorter (in comparison) length.

I radial scrubbers have been made for the APD Inspiration though not commercially available AFIK.  Packing is more tricky and breakthrough (when it occurs) is more rapid.

The scrubber on the Ouroboros (I was told by The Man) does 15 hours.

Duncan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

Yes, but apparently its back on for early next year.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

That's something well worth looking forward to. In the meantime, keep yer eyes peeled on telly over the Christmas period for the low-down on this year's expedition. National Geographic's doing a big one and so's another channel, the name of which has utterly escaped me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts