YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am just listening to the Radio 4 Food Programme all about sustainable fishing including a fair bit about hand caught scallops.

The bloke reckons his twin 12's weigh 8 stone. What's he breathing- lead?

BBC - Radio 4 - The Food Programme

Wait till you get to the bit of the interview with the scallop dredger. What a [email protected] Apparently he thinks the seabed has "always been like that" after dredging. Yeah right.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Wait till you get to the bit of the interview with the scallop dredger. What a [email protected] Apparently he thinks the seabed has "always been like that" after dredging. Yeah right.
beeb said:
Sheila hears the point of view of the scallop dredgers by talking to Jim Portus, Chairman of the South-west Fish Producers Organisation and Secretary of the Inshore Scallopers Association.
This the bloke Woz? Giving an independent and unbiased view :D

Chris

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Am just listening to the Radio 4 Food Programme all about sustainable fishing including a fair bit about hand caught scallops.

The bloke reckons his twin 12's weigh 8 stone. What's he breathing- lead?

BBC - Radio 4 - The Food Programme

8 stone is 50 kg so its possible.

Pair of 300 bar 12's 34Kg
manifold and valves 2Kg
Regs 3kg
Backplate and wing 7Kg
Vweight 2kg

Total 48kg

Lob in the gas and you're over the 50 !

I heard it too and the scallop dredger man needs gently shooting. I worked and dived by Loch Creran (oban) and the mess the dredgers left was sickening.

·
(Formerly Polarbears Dave) - YD advertiser
267 Posts
I sit on some committees with Jim Portus, he really IS as much of a wanker as he sounds. Apparently any decline in fish stocks is caused by global warming, aliens and of course divers, and could not possibly be related to commercial fishing.............
cheers
dave
drysuitrepair.co.uk

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
This the bloke Woz? Giving an independent and unbiased view :D

Chris
I have been in a workshop with him. If he is who I think he is, then I was certainly not impressed with his attitude at the end of the workshop. He walked out in a huff - apparently they are being blamed for everything that is going wrong at sea, when in fact they have been conservationists for years.

Adrian

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
What, this guy?

Jim Portus
Chief Executive Officer, South Western Fish Producer's Organisation (SWFPO)

Jim's strong seafaring background includes twelve years service in the Merchant Navy, where he spent time as Captain. His varied experience also includes such roles as a fisheries inspector for the MAFF at Brixham.

In addition to his role as CEO for the SWFPO, Jim is currently the Chairman of the UK Association of Fish Producer's Organisation, Chairman of the Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen in Brixham and Director of SW Pesca.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts